We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horseback rding

hampshire,il
2 posts
Save Topic
horseback rding

We are looking for a place to go riding for a few days around the area. Some 4 hour trips and day long trips would be great. Please let me know if you have those sorts of riding.

thank you

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: horseback rding

I notice your post is in the Interior forum. Are you inquiring about the Badlands or the Black Hills or both?

If you're not sure if you'd rather ride in the Badlands or the Hills, the time of year should be your deciding factor. Summertime in the Badlands can be very hot. I'd say you wouldn't want to ride in the Badlands during July and August. The prime season for Black Hills riding would be May-October.

The Badlands have a fair number of trails but the Black Hills have many more. There are hundreds and hundreds of miles of trails that are open to horses and closed to motorized traffic. The Harney Range trail system in the Black Elk Wilderness is very popular (no horses in the Sylvan Lake water shed, though). Custer State Park, the Mickelson Trail, the Centennial Trail and the Deerfield trail system are all popular also.

If you're looking to rent horses, Custer State Park has rentals. If you're bringing your own, publicly owned horse camps are found near Blue Bell in Custer State Park and at Willow Creek Campground near the Harney Range. There are many privately owned stables throughout the Hills.

Another popular horse riding area nearby is the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. This is about a 3-4 hour drive west of Rapid City. These are big, beautiful mountains with a short summer season.

hampshire,il
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: horseback rding

Thank you for your reply. We will check out

Custer State Park. I have had several replys

and they all sound exciting. Thank you again

and have a wonderful year of riding!

Get answers to your questions about Interior