We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyoneering b/t Salt Lake and Moab

Eugene, OR
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Canyoneering b/t Salt Lake and Moab

Hi. My family of four (two adults, two teens) will be staying in Moab for four nights in early March, driving from Salt Lake. One of the things we really want to do is explore some narrow slot canyons. However, I hear that there aren't a lot of the traditional slot canyons near Moab. Further, I hear many might be wet? I was thinking that maybe we could explore some slots on our way to Moab from Salt Lake? Maybe in the Robber's Roost area? Can anyone recommend some areas on the way to Moab (from SLC) where we could explore some dry slot canyons? Are these areas easily accessible by foot? We all have climbing and backpacking experience and will have gear, but would it be better for us to hire a guide to meet us so we can explore the coolest spots without wandering around the desert? Thank you very much! --christy

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
451 reviews
1. Re: Canyoneering b/t Salt Lake and Moab

In the Moab area, would highly recommend two different canyoneering outings from Cliffs and Canyons. One is called Ephedra's Grotto which is just 10 minutes from Moab up off the Slickrock Bike Trail. It features two significant rappels, the first dropping into a cavern and the second off a cliff on the backside of an arch with an 100-foot plus freefall, then a hike out. Not a slot but a great adventure. The other is called Chamisa Canyon, south of Moab, which features five or six rope assists into pools and finishes off with maybe a 90-foot rappel off a cliff. Both are great fun.

On the direct route from SLC to Moab, there's nothing. But you can make a sidetrip to Little WIld Horse Canyon next to Goblin Valley. No equipment is required. Great slot canyon. Do Little Wild Horse in and out. You can also loop through to Bell Canyon but less interesting.

There are myriad other slot canyons but this is one you can do easily and economically. I would not recommend exploring beyond that without a guide or local knowledge. Really no nearby guide services but you could arrange through someone like Cliffs and Canyons in Moab.

Have fun.

2. Re: Canyoneering b/t Salt Lake and Moab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 06, 2017