We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

has anyone stayed at Big Horn Lodge or a good suggestion

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston ma
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
has anyone stayed at Big Horn Lodge or a good suggestion

Help

I have been reading a lot of information Don't know where to stay in Moab. This is the first trip and want to make the right choice for my husband and I.

Thanks

Dolly

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
294 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: has anyone stayed at Big Horn Lodge or a good suggestion

Dolly,

The Big Horn is on the south end of town, owned by the same outfit as the Red Cliffs Lodge (up the river road) and the Red Stone Inn (right across the street from the Big Horn). Nothing fancy about the Big Horn, it's the low end of their three properties.

There are many, many choices (as you've found out) - lots of current information in one place at: http://www.discovermoab.com/hotels.htm

What is it that you seek from your lodging? If it's walking distance to the shops and restaurants downtown, there are likely better choices than the Big Horn. If it's just a place to sleep, the Big Horn will be fine. If it's luxury accomodations you want - there are lots of better choices.

boston ma
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: has anyone stayed at Big Horn Lodge or a good suggestion

Hendo

thanks for your response. I think I would like to be in walking distance of town. What would you suggest??

thanks again for your help

Dolly

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
294 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: has anyone stayed at Big Horn Lodge or a good suggestion

Dolly,

Both of the Best Westerns (Canyonlands Inn and Greenwell Inn) are in the heart of downtown, both are clean and respectable choices. The Gonzo Inn is a block off Main Street and is the high-end choice for downtown, The Landmark Inn is just a block north and is at the low end. The Bowen Motel is a longtime mom and pop kind of a place and is also in the downtown core.

southeasten utah
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: has anyone stayed at Big Horn Lodge or a good suggestion

I would agree with Hendo that it is lower end, but it is still a very clean place and the front counter staff is excellant and their is a half descent restuarant next door. If you are looking for great accomodations I would pick the Gonzo it is great and far enough off main street that it quiet but in easy walking distance to all the shops.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: has anyone stayed at Big Horn Lodge or a good suggestion

The Big Horn Lodge has all their rooms along the road. Everyone's front door is seventy five feet from the main highway.

That road is really busy! It's the major road around there for a hundred miles or more. Every construction vehicle uses it, every tractor trailer rig, RV motorhomes, gravel trucks, diesel ranchers; you get the picture. The noise starts about sunrise and ends about bed time. The air conditioning unit is so efficient and quiet it doesn't drown out the noise. This motel does have bragging rights for large rooms.

The Red Stone Inn is built perpendicular to the street. That means you can choose a room in the back. I always do except when they're full from a bus group. Their rooms are a little on the smallish side. Talk to them via telephone.

6. Re: has anyone stayed at Big Horn Lodge or a good suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, August 19, 2009