We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reccomendations for Camping for Nov 06

SF Bay Area, CA
2 posts
Save Topic
Reccomendations for Camping for Nov 06

we are planning to Visit Moab/Arches/Dino around thanksgiving this year with three kids (7,4,2) and need some advice...

1. Is it a good time to visit ?

2. Will it be OK to camp during that period (Weather etc..?)

3. What is a good place to camp with little kids ?

4. Do we need to make reservations ?

5. Any alternate route to Moab from Reno, NV other than via SLC ?

6. Anything else we need to worry about ?

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reccomendations for Camping for Nov 06

I think thanksgiving is a great time to visit the region, and I often spend thxgiving in southern utah. However, you do have to be prepared for less than warm weather. Tent camping this time of year is pretty difficult though. (If your RV 'camping' than that's a different story). Nights can be bitterly cold, and the hours of darkness are long. People certainly do it, but it's a challenge.

You won't need reservations for camping, nor for hotels in the tourist areas that time of year.

As for an alternate route from Reno to SLC, I enjoyed US 50 across central Nevada, but I'd be very prepared driving that stretch in winter as it does traverse pretty remote terrain.

Be aware that the visitor center at the Dinosaur Quarry in Dinosaur Nat'l Monument was closed earlier this year due to structural problems, and will not be reopening in the near future. The park itself is still open completely, but that visitor center was the most popular attraction for most visitors.

SWest, USA
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reccomendations for Camping for Nov 06

Hi,

I'm thinking of same trip with 6 and 7 year old. Did you find any good places? I have a Eurovan, and may stay in that or find a cabin. Any info you found helpful. Thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
694 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reccomendations for Camping for Nov 06

As an alternative to camping you could try the Lazy Lizard hostel in Moab. The Lazy Lizard has little cabins (just a few beds and a light) and shared bathrooms. The cost is pretty reasonable - you can get five people in a cabin for $43. It's not fancy, but a warmer alternative to camping.

Given that the quarry is closed in Dinosaur, you may be better off with more time around Moab, or stopping a Lehman Caves in Nevada if you take Highway 50.

4. Re: Reccomendations for Camping for Nov 06

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, August 20, 2009