We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyoneering in moab

Worcester...
Level Contributor
135 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Canyoneering in moab

We will be in Moab for a week in July. We will be traveling with two children ages 9 and 11 and two adults. We would like to try Canyoneering while there. Any recommendations for beginners with children? Suggestions of other similiar family friendly activities would also be appreciated.

Kalispell, MT
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyoneering in moab

We're going in a week. We are planning to spend a day in Arches, a day riding Slickrock (or at least the practice loop) and 2-3 days in Goblin Valley/Little Wild Horse/Ding & Dang.

Two twelve year-olds, two ten year-olds, and two Dads. It's going to be a blast!!

I'll report back. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyoneering in moab

Contact Eric at Windgate Adventures. http://windgateadventures.com/

Kalispell, MT
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyoneering in moab

Spent a week in the Moab, Utah area with my daughters and my buddy and his son and daughter. We took the week off for our kids' spring break and made the trip leaving the Moms at home.

We got to Green River about 10am on the first day and headed for Goblin Valley. It was an awesome spot for kids to explore. We hit the main valley in the morning, hung out in the motorhome for an hour for lunch, then headed out and back into the 2nd valley for more exploration. We camped out at the OHV trailhead just outside the State park.

The second day, we hiked Ding and Dang slot canyons. They were absolutely incredible. Ding was an easy hike up with a lot of scrambles that were fun for the kids. Dang was a tighter canyon that had 3 pretty big descents. We rappelled the first one although there was a very easy bypass (North canyon side or to the left as you're descending). The next was a big waterfall shelf that had two pretty exposed 4' drops. There was a bolt and a length of webbing for the top drop. The final was a 10' chimney that was very easy to descend. If you have had any climbing experience at all, you will have no issue downclimbing them with no belay. We grabbed a hotel room for the night to sit in the hot tub and get showers.

The third day, we headed to Moab and an easy afternoon at the Arches NP visitor's center, then exploring Double Arch, Turret Arch and the Windows. We camped that night in the Slickrock (Sand Flats) camping area. We didn't get there until late afternoon and the closer campsites were booked full so we ended up in the J (Juniper) camping area about 6.5 miles back from the main Sand Flats/Slickrock area. It was beautiful, but about 800' higher than the rest of the camping area (and 1,600' higher than Moab) so it was a chilly night. The road was recently graded but it was a long drive when the kids wanted to be at Slickrock.

We then headed in and found a campsite in D loop where we stayed the next two nights. The kids biked the Practice Loop and I busted a derailleur. Headed into town to Rim Cyclery (friendly but busy and slow) and got it fixed while they rested. We hit the Practice loop again that afternoon and a final lap in the evening.

We planned to do about 1/2 of the main Slickrock Trail on Friday, but missed the first bypass and ended up by the ziplines (almost halfway into the trail). We doubled back and took an Alternate route, but the alternates across the Slickrock Loop are not "easy" routes, they're more advanced. We nicknamed it "Hike Your Bike" Trail. Ended up riding 8 miles...Slickrock proper is 10.5. Kids were wiped but they did awesome. We went in to town and they played on the big sand hill across from the Arches entrance. It's a must-do for kids, but a shower is a must-do following that. We caught showers at the Moab Campground on the north end of town (used to be the KOA) and had dinner at Moab Brewing which was great.

We got a permit when we stopped at the VC on Wednesday to explore the Fiery Furnace on our last day. The route we found had a lot more sustained scrambles (not technical vertical climbs), so our previous days in Goblin Valley and Ding and Dang were great warm-ups for the kids. If you have any climbing/canyoneering experience, I'd recommend this option if you can't get a spot on the guided tour. If you have no route finding or climbing experience, I'd recommend you seek the guided tour!

What an awesome quality time week with my kids. My body is tired and sore!

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyoneering in moab

Great report MT4Runner - thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,493 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyoneering in moab

Perfect way to spend spring break! Sounds awesome

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
457 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canyoneering in moab

Certainly make sure you visit Canyonlands NP and Arches NP. If you can, try to purchase tickets online for the ranger-led tour of the Fiery Furnace in Arches. It's a fun and a beautiful hike. The kids (and adults) would have a blast scrambling and squeezing their way through. Purchase the tickets now because they do fill up quickly. You could always take a rafting tour. To shake things up, my family and I chose to kayak along side the rafts and had a blast! You could also rent some bikes and try some of the trails in the area. The trails range from easy to difficult. Something that's sort of off the radar are the dinosaur tracks that can be found around the Moab area. We visited some in Copper Ridge, which is about 20-25 miles north of Moab right off of Rt. 191. There were clearly seen tracks of brontosaurus and allosaurus. Very cool!

One thing about Moab, you will not run out of things to do. My family and I spent five nights there and wish we would have stayed longer.

California
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canyoneering in moab

Just remember, July will be freaking hot!

8. Re: Canyoneering in moab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:06 pm, September 11, 2014
9. Re: Canyoneering in moab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 13, 2015