We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab without a car

Boston...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Moab without a car

I will be in Moab in December without a car and on a low budget--are there ways to get to Canyonlands and Arches without personal transportation? Are there any road bike rental deals? Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab without a car

How are you getting to Moab in the first place?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab without a car

Greetings Eliza welcome to the forums and out west.

You'll find cheaper everything in town because it's off season. Camping is always cheaper than hotels. Having said that, Moab is a very small, remote town in the middle of the desert. It isn't really set up for public transportation or shuttle services like they have in Zion. It would be fairly difficult to access the parks without a personal vehicle. Here is a guide that lists pay services, though I don't know the prices, seasonality, or logistics. http://www.discovermoab.com/shuttle.htm

Might end up being cheaper to rent a car.

For road bikes, there should be a few options available, though Moab caters more to mountain bikers. Here is one company in town, but there are several others.

http://poisonspiderbicycles.com/home/

Arches is about 5 miles outside of town, while Canyonlands' Island In The Sky District is over 30 miles away. These are just to the entrances, not traveling through to see the points of interest. The grade into Arches is fairly steep and would be difficult, if you're not in bike shape. I think the road through Arches is about 30 miles to the end. Not sure how long the road is in Canyonlands. Also keep in mind that the parks will charge an entrance fee.

I suppose you could hitchhike into the parks or arrange a ride with people you meet in town. I've picked up hitchhikers and driven them to where they want to be dropped off in Southern Utah. You always have to consider a return trip too. Good luck.

Edited: 6:16 pm, November 08, 2013
USA
Level Contributor
903 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab without a car

Moab is a great place to road bike. Do you want to ride a bike as a means of getting around, or are you interested in doing some distance road biking? You could check with Moab's bike shops about bike rentals, and also check the weather.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,285 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moab without a car

You need a car

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moab without a car

ditto! you REALLY need a car.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moab without a car

The Moab Canyon Pathway connects Moab to Arches via a paved pathway, accessible by bikes and people on foot>> http://www.discovermoab.com/moab_canyon.htm

The discover Moab website will be full of info about distances, bike rentals, and accessible areas without a car. Note that there are steep grades mentioned by Shake throughout the area that will slow your pace.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,871 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moab without a car

Eliza H, Welcome to the TA forums.

Since you say low budget I'm assuming you would not want a tour. There are some offered through places like Moab Adventure Center, though maybe not a specifically park oriented tour. But they can be pricey.

Your only other forms of transportation will be walking, biking or renting a car.

December could be icy and cold which would decrease my desire to try to see everything by bike. There may be a paved road from Moab to the parks, (and along the scenic route 128 now at least part of the way) but the park roads are not especially bike friendly being narrow without shoulders, so even for an avid biker I wouldn't recommend visiting the parks that way.

So as others have said, I hope you can rent a car.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moab without a car

I'm glad Kbec mentioned the fact that it is December and could be a bit burly for biking. I have friends who go down to Moab and bike almost every month. They usually make sure weather is nice and not dealing with winter storms. Sounds like you've already chosen Dec.

I would not try and explore the NP's on bike in December. I think you should get a rental car.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,212 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moab without a car

In December you can get a motel in Moab for around $30/night. Use the savings to rent a car. You'll need one.

10. Re: Moab without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 11, 2014