We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab BLM camping question

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Moab BLM camping question

Hi All -

We're headed to Moab for the first time later this week and there are a couple of things about BLM camping that we don't understand. Do we need to go to the BLM office first to pay, and then find a site? Once you've got a site, how do you keep it for several days - do you leave your tent there during the day? Do you leave the tent set up or not?

Any advice on nice sites would also be appreciated!

cheers and thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab BLM camping question

BLM land is just public land. Unlike back east where most property is private, you can just pull over in most areas and pitch a tent. If it is a designated campground with fire pits and pit toilets, you probably will have to pay a small fee. Often times there is metal column where you can drop money and indicate your unit number in an envelope. I've camped down the Potash Road just northwest of Moab and just left all of my stuff there during the day. Most are first come first serve. Here are a couple of websites I found.

blm.gov/ut/…campgrounds.html

blm.gov/ut/…camping_near_parks.html

Edited: 6:15 pm, July 30, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab BLM camping question

Hi floraluz... welcome to the TA forums.

shake801 has it right. Where there is a lot of demand the BLM has created campgrounds. Where there is a developed campground you'll just chose a spot and pay at the entrance. If you want to visit the BLM office in town first they can give you a map and guide you to the best spot for you, but it is not necessary. Yes, leave your tent set up. If you don't have a tent then usually a cooler or a couple of chairs will be enough to alert anyone that it is already occupied. (plus sometimes there will be somewhere to post the permit part of the payment.) Don't leave anything else of value though, it might be safe, but why push your luck.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,448 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab BLM camping question

Extensive BLM campgrounds and good links above. Tougher to get good spots as you get closer to weekend. If you're driving in from the east, take the route 128 (Danish Flat exit via Cisco) and checkout the series of sites along the Colorado River from Dewey Bridge in to Moab. Better sites are closer to town but they go first. Other very popular area is Sand Flat Recreational Area up by the Slickrock Trail. Again, some very nice sites in sandy/slickrock terrain.

Have fun.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moab BLM camping question

Thank you thank you Thank you for these valuable tips!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moab BLM camping question

And thanks for the tip on taking 128 from the east - Google Maps wasn't showing that as an option. I will be very happy to take a more scenic route that doubles as reconnaissance.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moab BLM camping question

Great suggestions, everyone!! I especially enjoy camping Highway 128; if you want to try your hand at river camping, I like the spots farther away from Moab near to Fisher Towers (what a view!)

Remember as you drive along the road that the cliffs on the other side of the river is part of Arches (well, some of it is).

If you decide to rustic camp on unimproved land, please use these guidelines:

blm.gov/ut/…camping_ethics.html

Have a great trip!

*Pixie*

7. Re: Moab BLM camping question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 03, 2014