We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please!

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denton, Texas
11 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help please!

Going on a two week vacation with my wife and 9 year old daughter through Utah and the Grand Canyon. I have my whole itinerary down except for our stop in Moab. Will be arriving late July around 3pm, staying 2 nights and leaving in the morning on the third day (so the stay will be about a day and a half). We are going to northern Utah from Moab and will take 128 as a scenic route out.

The only "must" is a planned hike the first morning we wake up in Moab to hike to Delicate Arch ( I know the sunset hike is recommended but we want to do it while its cooler). Initially I planned on seeing Arches the whole time but I feel like I am missing out/slighting Canyonlands and/or Dead Horse Park. (Also note that we aren't interested in doing the Fiery Furnace on this trip)

Any ideas from the time we arrive in the afternoon until we leave would be greatly appreciated!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,698 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help please!

You could spend that first half day visiting Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. If you are coming from the north they would be on your way in, but if you are coming from the south you could stop in to Moab and get your lodging arranged and maybe pick up some sandwiches for dinner. Then head first to Canyonlands Island in the sky. See the Shafer trail overlook, hike Mesa Arch, go to Grand view Point and take a little walk there if you have time, then see the Green River overlook before heading to Dead Horse Point. You might get to Dead Horse Point close to sunset, but it is a great place to watch the day end.

Then you'd have all day for Arches, which would be about what you want.

OR you could settle in to your lodging, then head to Arches- which is closer- check out the visitors center and see some of the first areas like Park Avenue and the Windows area, Balanced Rock and the Courthouse. Then the next morning you can bypass all of them without wishing you could stop and see them on your way to Delicate Arch. After your hike there go to Devil's Garden and hike what you want. Then you could head over to Canyonlands/ DHP and see that the rest of the day.

Either plan would work fine. Å day and a half for both areas is plenty for a nice visit.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,472 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please!

Good advice so far. Curious as to your next stop in northern Utah. Route 128 is, indeed, very scenic but it isn't exactly en route to northern Utah.

Have fun.

Denton, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please!

Thanks for the input so far. Kbecjeans, I will be driving from Texas to Moab so your second suggestion sounds like the best option so far.

TumbleweedandCactus, when we leave Moab we are going to the Ogden area to visit friends. Google maps says that taking 128 is about an hour out of the way which is ok with me (is 128 "scenic" all the way to I-70?). Would it be better to do Canyonland/DHP on my last day instead of driving 128?

This is probably a dumb question but we will be at the Grand Canyon for 2 nights later in the trip (after a trip to Vegas for a visit with relatives) so is Canyonlands/DHP still worth venturing?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,698 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please!

No, hwy 128 is not scenic all the way to I-70. Maybe about half way. If you wanted, you could take that drive the first day you arrive. Fisher Towers is as far as you need to go. Sunset can be beautiful there. Spend all the next day in Arches, and then take in Canyonlands and Dead Horse point on the way north (I'd plan 2-3 hrs for the main viewpoints).

Denton, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help please!

Kbecjeans, thanks for the great advice! I will tweak my plans and do just this.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,171 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help please!

I was fascinated with Dewey Bridge(historic) on SR 128, which is farther beyond Fisher Towers, about 7-10 miles

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,698 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help please!

If the Dewey Bridge were still there I would agree. It however was burned in a wildfire a couple years back, so the remnants are still there, but I 'm not sure driving there to see them is worth the extra miles....depends on your time frame I guess.

London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help please!

In our opinion SR128 is a far better drive North to South. As with all rock formations, sometimes they look so much better from one angle. Also if you are on SR128 take La Sal loop road around MP16 and go see Castle Rock, home of the Chevy advert with the helicopter lifting the car on to the rock.

9. Re: Itinerary help please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 03, 2014