We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help

lincoln, nebraska
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Help

We are planning a road trip from Lincoln, NE to Yosemite and we will be traveling along I-70. It dawned on me that it may be worth my while to swing down thru Arches and/or Canyonlands. We would arrive in the Moab area Sunday night and would need to be just outside of Yosemite Tuesday night as we plan to explore Yosemite on Wed. Would it be smart to go off the Interstate for a more scenic trip and try to explore a bit of Arches or Canyonlands. If so, should I go back up to I-70 or is there a more scenic route to get me across Utah. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,203 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help

Definitely take a look, it's pretty convenient. Note that it's about 700 miles from Moab to Mammoth Lakes. Several route options but try I-70 to I-15 to Cedar City, then cutting across Nevada desert on 93-375-95 etc. Very scenic route especially crossing the Eastern Sierra into California. Frankly, you could do this in a long day if you wanted to spend two nights in Moab and get an early start on Tuesday. If you feel you need to split it, look at Cedar City as an option.

When arriving on I-70, take the Danish Flat exit (I think it's about milepost 17 or so) to come into Moab via the ghost town of Cisco and the route 128 river road - very scenic. Given your short time, just focus on Arches - you'll take away a lot in just a day.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help

T&C said everything I would. I agree completely.

lincoln, nebraska
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help

So would I drop off of I-70 to Moab and then go back up to I-70? Would your suggested route be more scenic than Nevada highway 50 (the lonliest road)?

Moab Utah
Level Contributor
10 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help

Yes, when you leave Moab in the morning, stop at Moab Coffee roasters(main and 100 north, SE corner) or any of the other local coffee shops on your way back up to I-70. Like T & C said, take the Danish Flat exit, follow the signs to Moab to get here along the river road. Please don't stop in the middle of the road to take pictures, even though it may feel like you are the only one on the road!

I used to live in Bishop and work summers in Moab, so I did that drive a lot. I think its about 10.5 hours and awesomely scenic. You won't be sorry for swinging by Moab.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,203 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help

The routes across the Nevada desert are comparable, in my opinion. If traveling from Moab to Yosemite, route 50 would probably add 3 hours to your trip. One curious question. If you're going Nebraska to Yosemite, I-70 isn't the quickest route - I-80 is.

Have fun.

lincoln, nebraska
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help

Thanks for the info. We are taking I70 because we are stopping in Denver for a few days to see my inlaws.

7. Re: Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 17, 2014