We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Moab, skip Kanab?

Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
Just Moab, skip Kanab?

My husband and I will be in Utah in late Oct/early Nov. We've done Salt Lake City, so we'd now love to see the gorgeous southern portion of Utah. We have 6 days to spend there, but no idea how to even get started planning our itinerary. We'll be flying in/out of SLC and renting a car. I was told by someone in Kanab that many of the attractions are closed in that area at that time of the year. Should we avoid that SW corner of the state due to the higher elevation (re: snow?). We really want to be able to experience the gorgeous canyons, red rock, arches, etc. that we've seen in the travel guides. Is Moab our best bet?

Newton, North...
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Moab, skip Kanab?

All I will say is that Moab has so much to see. There is Arches (get the fiery furnace guided hike if you like hiking) and Canyonlands and from there it isn't too far to Monument Valley. Someone else will have to advise you about the weather around Kanab that time of year. I went there in July of last year and Zion and Bryce and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon were all great. Not too much in Kanab though, its sort of a central location for those attractions. Good luck with your trip.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Moab, skip Kanab?

With only six days stick with Moab and surrounds only. You'll easily fill your time here without spending as much time traveling.

Kanab and the surrounding areas are definitely worth a visit at another time.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Moab, skip Kanab?

I don't know what will be open but here is my list of things to do.

Canyonlands, Deadhorse Point, Arches,

#128 drive north along the river out of Moab (my favorite),

Western Movies Photo museamadfd at Red Cliffs Lodge (site of Whites Ranch where some John Wayne fiims were shot, "Rio Grande"?),

South on Potash road along the river out of Moab,

Pucker Pass and Shaffer Trail if you got a 4x4 an some guts,

Anticline Overlook on BLM road south of Moab,

#211 drive to the Needles area south of Moab,

If time pemits:

Monument Valley on the AZ UT border,

Goosenecks at Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods

Good Luck

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Moab, skip Kanab?

In late October into November you can still have beautiful days in southern Utah. The nights will be very chilly. Arches National Park (SE corner of the state) is usually a little colder than Zion National Park which is in the SW corner of the state. I would not plan on visiting Bryce Canyon that late because of the risk of snow and driving on state roads rather than interstates. But hey, anybody from Michigan can take anything that Utah can dish out :-)

Arches and Zion offer two very different experiences. At Arches, you are hiking over the top of the sandstone layers and will see the sandstone formations made famous from the travel guides, while at Zion, you are at the bottom looking (and hiking) up and have views of towering red sandstone cliffs. The hikes at Arches tend to be longer and flatter than those at Zion. I like the isolation and wildness of Arches (It's hands down my favorite park in Utah). Zion has a more "managed" feel. Either of them are beautiful in rain, snow, or sun. Just dress for the weather and enjoy!

Both Moab and Sprindale offer good lodging choices and good restaurants. If it were me, I'd drive to Arches first and then go to Zion and back to SLC. When driving between Salt Lake and Moab, you will go through Spanish Fork Canyon (between Spanish Fork and Price). Plan your drive so that you do that canyon in daylight. There are stretches of that road with a high accident rate so it's safer in the day, especially if it's stormy. On the highway between Price and Green River just keep telling yourselves that it will be worth the drive. The "scenery" is utterly flat and desolate and it's hard to believe that the world's most beautiful red rock is at the end of it. Just outside of Green River the landscape will begin to change and there's such a sense of anticipation driving up the hill from the entrance to Arches into the park. There's no place on earth like Arches. Start there and I'll bet you ask yourself whether or not to leave for Zion.