We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
620 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Hi, we're travelling from Bryce to Moab and would ideally like to arrive 4-5pm ish. We were going to drive the interstate (as did highway 12 last time) but fancy seeing LWH canyon on the way. I think it'll be back tracking about half hour each way from the interstate. Or are we better just driving Highway 12 route again so we pass the canyon? We'll be doing that on our return after monument valley so was just trying to do a different route originally as well as saving a bit of time. cheers folks, just over a week to go now!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

We were there last month. I too thought it would be unpaved based on TA reports. Paved all the way to the trail head.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,890 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Great, that will make it much more accessible for visitors.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,854 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Open up the flood gates...

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Just found a trip report while I was trying to confirm the pavement. The report, from May 2012, said about THIRTY vehicles at the parking lot and people starting to park along the road. Flood gates is right.

Edited: 9:51 pm, August 18, 2012
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
620 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

For us I'm glad it's paved now! Now just to decide whether to drive from Byrce via hwy 12 and do LWHC then or to do it when we travel from Mon Valley to Torrey? MV to Torrey we'd be doing Moki Dugway, Muley Point and Rainbow NM. Ideally we like to arrive somewhere around 5-6pm is, preferably a little earlier when we head to Moab. Last time we drove hwy 12 we stopped for a night at Torrey on the way, direct, without stops I think it's about 7 hrs driving? Both days we'd want to have seen sunrise so plan on an earlyish start.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
620 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Just wanted to update this for anyone else that may be considering. We decided on driving hwy 12 again and minus the 3 hour detour to do the highlights of the canyon, it would have only taken us 5h 40 to get to Moab from Bryce. That was with a few short photo stops. We weren't speeding but we did have a clear run, not getting stuck behind any slow traffic and we ate on the move! So glad we did LWH canyon and relived the road is now paved! Thanks all, we had a wonderful trip.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

It was not that many ago I could go there and have the place to myself.

Last summer Mrs. DS and I saw the construction crews and I posted on TA that maybe they were going to pave that road.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

Having it paved will make it much easier to experience LWH in the winter and spring. I always worried about tearing up wet, snowy roads in the past.

*Pixie*

19. Re: little wild horse canyon en route from Bryce to Moab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 17, 2013