We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

On Mon, Sep. 24. 2012, my wife and I will be traveling from Jackson, Wy. to Moab, Ut. I went to google maps and was given 3 different routes. It looks to be an average of around 500 miles and 9 hrs. Does anyone have ideas on the best route or has anyone actually made this drive and have good ideas. I do like scenic but do not want to waste a lot of time because of the distance. 1 route looks like it goes through Salt Lake City and the other 2 routes kind of skirt it. Good advice would be appreciated. We will be in Yellowstone for 5 days, Jackson for 3 days and then in Moab for 3 days. Last year we were in Moab for 5 days. We kind of just want to finish out our trip in Moab this year.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,197 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

Take the route down along the border to Evanston, then over to Park City (which is a great overnight stopover if you wish). Continue down Provo Canyon to I-15/US6, etc.

Definitely don't go via SLC. Not interesting and you get into traffic.

One other alternative is to take US40 out of Heber City to Duchesne, then cut down to Helper. That's a nice, scenic route and actually can be shorter timewise than going through Provo.

It's just over four hours to Park City, then another four to Moab. Stop at Ray's Tavern in Green River for a burger.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,681 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

<<Definitely don't go via SLC. Not interesting and you get into traffic>.

Now I don't think I can let that go without protesting just a little Tumbleweed :-)

I think SLC has enough to keep your interest for a day at least. Different vibe though from PC.

If I want to go the scenic route I always go through Logan and Bear Lake. Which will then lead you south through SLC. Not a bad option at all. And not a lot different time wise unless you make stops.

TheHoge, You could also take a more easterly route and head to Vernal via Green River and Flaming Gorge. Two choices from there either through Price or Grand Junction. Both are about the same timewise and both are about about an hour longer than taking the more western routes.

Edited: 8:32 pm, April 19, 2012
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,197 posts
395 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

Yes, actually Salt Lake would be a wonderful stop. Antelope Island and the new Museum of Natural History, which I haven't seen yet but have to get to.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

You won't have the time to stop if you want to do this in one day. The route T&C gave you probably will be fastest.

Vestavia Hills...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

Hello TheHoge. We're making the same road trip in late June from Grand Teton National Park to Moab with one overnight (wish we had longer to explore along the way). We're up for driving 400 miles in a day, with stops, and have looked at three possible routes with variations...

*to Bear Lake, Antelope Island, SLC

*to Evanston, WY then to Park City OR via Mirror Lake Scenic Highway to Provo Google Maps did not give Mirror Lake Scenic Highway WY150 / UT150 as an option

or

*Flaming Gorge NRA to Vernal continuing through western Colorado. TA experts for Western Colorado gave great information on this CO state highway.

Mainly because we hope to arrive in Moab in the afternoon of the second day, we've chose Evanston/Mirror Lake Scenic Highway/Heber City/Provo. I'll post the link for the public Google url for this and the Flaming Gorge option.

Vestavia Hills...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

Grand Teton National Park to Provo, Utah via Mirror Lake Scenic Highway (WY 150 / UT 150)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Vestavia Hills...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

Oops...here's the proper URL

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Vestavia Hills...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

Grand Teton National Park to Moab via Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, Vernal, Dinosaur, and western CO.

(it's possible to go from Vernal to Moab on a more westerly route.)

Here's the Google Map URL...

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

The basic route choices are via Park City or SLC via Evanston or Bear Lake. Then through Price to Moab.

The other route does not include the Salt Lake area at all, but takes you down further east via Flaming Gorge, Vernal/Dinosaur NM, Rangely/Canyon Pintado, Grand Junction and finally Moab.

In one day it's a simple choice take the fastest route which is the Evanston one. If you have more time it's a tough choice between option A and option B.

Going via Vernal from SLC adds a few hours.

Edited: 11:35 pm, April 23, 2012
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Jackson, WY to Moab, UT.

Thanks all. I'm probably looking at taking the Evanston route to Provo and then down to Green River, or take Evanston route and get off on 40 to Duchesne and then 191/6 to Green river. How would these choices be in time? It will be about a 500 mile trip but which one would be the better route in terms of road conditions, etc?