We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
41 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

We want to take a trip to the Moab area, Mesa Verde and four corners. We are taking a motorhome. We are looking for the best route, best camping locations, and best activities. We have 5 little boys...ages 12-1. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,842 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

Mesa Verde needs 2-3 days to explore, especially if you are touring in a slow RV. Moab is equally deserving. 3 days is a minimum. Four corners monument is a drive by. Skip it unless you need a bathroom break.

Add Monument Valley and Page AZ if you have time.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,681 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

Red you have obviously never visited 4 corners with kids :-)

Jenny, Here is one route option.

http://g.co/maps/evfhc

This is only one option. It is pretty straight forward from SLC to Moab and then onto Mesa Verde. But after that you do have some other options. I just gave the simplest one.

There are plenty of campgrounds in Moab to chose from.

Camping at Mesa Verde would be at Morefield just inside the park

There is a great little campground in Bluff called Cadillac Ranch http://cadillacranchrv.com/ that I recommend. In Bluff you could visit the old fort and see the petroglyphs at Sand Island.

I put Monticello on there as an option on the way back to visit the Needles area and see Newspaper rock. There is a BLM campground near the rock.

Have you seen any of this area before? How long do you have?

Edited: 2:11 pm, March 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
41 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

Thank you for your input! I actually have been to Moab and Monument valley back in my single days, but have never taken the family there. We just found out that our trip will be shorter than first anticipated. We will leave Wed afternoon and return home Sun evening. I am sure that changes things. What is more fun for kids? Less driving and more "fun having"?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,681 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

With only a long weekend I would stick with Moab and just enjoy all there is to see there. There is plenty to keep you busy.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
41 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

Thank you! Would you recommend the river boat cruise? Any favorite campgrounds?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

I agree. I would stay in Moab for all those days. The visitor center in town has lots of information on nearby hikes and walks. It is a nice visitor center and the staff is friendly. I really liked the corona hike and hiking in arches. There are also lots of biking trails that the whole family could go on. I visited four corners recently and I was not impressed. It costs three dollars a person and you just get to look at a large monument. I was not impressed (especially with all the driving to get there) and I'm not sure kids would be either? I visited Mesa verde last year, I enjoyed the area but I didn't feel like it was as kid friendly as Moab is for a family. The campgrounds do get very busy in the summer (march-September) seems to be there busy time. Try staying at the arches campground or at one of the many camping areas that you can find on the Go Ranger app or from the visitor center. Moab also offers many privately owned campgrounds.

Do you have an iPhone or pad? I suggest downloading the App "go ranger" . This app has camping, hiking, rving, and lots of activities that you can search for based on location OR activity. It is very handy! I use it all the time.

I hope this helps!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,842 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

Moab for the 4 days will be best. You won't run out of things to see or do.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,681 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

I love the park campgrounds- Arches or Dead Horse Point. Sand Flats can be nice. Any of the commercial ones are good as well except for Canyonlands Campground right in town. Too busy for me. If you can't find one with openings to reserve for when you want you'll have to go for a first come first served, which always makes me nervous, but you can usually find something if you are there when campers are leaving in the morning and not trying to find something on a Saturday morning.

I'm not sure which river boat cruise you are referring to. Are you thinking a jetboat? I haven't done that myself, but that part of the river is very beautiful and would be fun. If you are there in the heat of the summer then the Fisher Towers section would be fun.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

Four nights on the road. Two days will be just coming and going. Three days for sightseeing and activities. Given that, Mesa Verde would be stretching things, It's a long way into the park, and the best sites are the furthest into the park. With 5 children, I think that would be a lot of vehicle time.

The idea of Moab for the entire time is much more practical, and I suspect would prove to be more enjoyable for everyone.

10. Re: Moab, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 20, 2013