We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Moab....

Which Moab hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Moab....

on the way to the North Rim.

Any advice on how to spend those?

I was looking at the Fiery Furnace ranger led tour and was wondering which would be best to sign up for, early in July, either 9 or 4 pm?

We would also like to spend one day rafting.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,842 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Moab....

It will be cooler in the morning for FF. Great light and shadows in the afternoon though.

One day rafting. Another for Dead Horse Point SP and Canyonlands Islands in the Sky NP. One more for more of Arches beyond FF etc. A back country jeep tour is always a gas.

Consider a day and night at Monument Valley on the way to GCNP NR. Have you got any time scheduled for Page on this trip?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Moab....

"It will be cooler in the morning for FF." An interesting point on this from the Park Ranger who led us through the Fiery Furnace is that is is actually cooler inside the FF that elsewhere in the park; this is due to the shadows cast by the rock formations through which you will be hiking, so you are in the shade most of the hike. RR statement is still correct, as it will be cooler in the morning, but according to the Ranger, and afternoon FF hike might not be that bad.

Check out the trip report archives (the first post in the UT forum); you can scan through there for the TRs that include Moab and find a lot of idea to go along with the excellent suggestions from RedRox.

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Moab....

Ok, I think we will sign up for the afternoon FF tour since it is shaded. We are from North Texas so a little more accustomed to the heat than most.

So, I am still working this plan and Yes, OH, I have been reading the trip reports and is how I knew that we had to sign up for FF ahead of time. Some more questions:

Needles and Sky each a full day? If we have to choose which is the best?

I read about natural pools: Millcreek North Fork...what could we pair that with so that we are there in the afternoon one day?

Which is the best day river rafting tour, ie most turbulent : )

No, we don't have Page scheduled in because we have already secured our lodging for the trip: Beginning with the NR Western cabin we reserved almost a year ago. DH doesn't like all that moving around so we are staying Sedona 4 nights, Kanab rental 3 nights, Bryce Rim Cabin 2 nights, Moab home rental 6 nights and NRim 3 nights. Already that is 5 moves.

We will be in Bryce on the Full Moon/Fourth of July I think they have an astronomy program. Any other places that might be good for sky watching?

Thanks so much for the helpful suggestions and keep em coming as I am getting it all nailed down. Still perusing the forums......

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Moab....

In case you missed it here's the official website for the Moab visitor center:

www.discovermoab.com

Check out our "meet up" posting and read the initial long dissertation I wrote on January 1 for some good ideas:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28965-i411-k50304…

Moab, Utah
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 nights in Moab....

As far as star gazing Moab has a few options - The Adventure Center offers star gazing while on Hummer tours. You could also check out the National Parks -

There is a ranger out at Dead Horse Point that has some star viewing. RedRock Astronomy can also take you out for some star gazing through telescopes.

6. Re: 5 nights in Moab....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, June 20, 2013