We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are bugs camping along the Colorado - 3rd week of April

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
How are bugs camping along the Colorado - 3rd week of April

So we'll be camping, hopefully at Hal Canyon. We will have a toddler and a puppy so shade mid day will be nice to give everyone a siesta if need be.

In researching some other comments on other sites, it seems like bugs don't become too big of an issue until May. Is that true? I'm just wondering if we set up a tent in a shady area v an open area, if well be regretting it as night falls if there are bugs. Where we live, you set up a tent near brush in the summer and you will encounter more biting bugs than in an open area.

Also, what other creatures do we need to look out for. What are these kangaroo rats and are they agressive enough to approach a toddler or dog with food (similar to the golden ground squirrels in Grand Teton Park, but they aren't called rats!).

What about scorpians and spiders? Again, I'm not weary of camping but we want to educate the toddler and be careful for the small puppy.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,664 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How are bugs camping along the Colorado - 3rd week of April

Bugs use little bug tents and build little bug campfires and roast little bug weenies and make little bug s'mores.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist ;-)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,249 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How are bugs camping along the Colorado - 3rd week of April

I haven't camped along the river. I've never had a problem anywhere else though.

Sorry I missed all the bug s'mores.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How are bugs camping along the Colorado - 3rd week of April

I guess I'm ok w/bugs camping as long as they respect the other quite hours etc.LOL. Seriously?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How are bugs camping along the Colorado - 3rd week of April

We were there in May one year, so I couldn't tell you about April. We stayed next to the river and skeeters were pretty bad.

RR - such a smart alex!

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How are bugs camping along the Colorado - 3rd week of April

The only time we've experienced bad bugs in Moab was last summer in mid-June...but there were no bugs along the river...it was up at Dead Horse SP where we got attacked! Strange. I've never seen or experienced a scorpion there, either (thank goodness!)

I would think that 3rd week of April you should be okay, as the nights will most likely still be cold...I'm basing that absolutely on no scientific data, of course.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How are bugs camping along the Colorado - 3rd week of April

Not quite the same area..... But roughly about the same time you'll be there, 1 year ago. Our group split up from Cedar Mesa CG in Capitol Reef . Three of the girls moved down to Pleasant Cr to camp along the river. They said it was the worst for bugs they had ever seen. Last year was definitely a big snow year so I 'm not sure if the creek just ran higher. We've had some issues with the no- see- ums on the White Rim at this time of year too.

Call one of the raft companies they probably know.

Hey RR,I wonder if the little bugs use little rafts And wash there s'mores with little beers.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,664 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How are bugs camping along the Colorado - 3rd week of April

Silly Powderglut. Bugs can float so they don't use rafts. But I've seen them drinking my big boy beers!

8. Re: How are bugs camping along the Colorado - 3rd week of April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:55 pm, June 17, 2013