We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About figured itinerary out but is it Crazy?

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
About figured itinerary out but is it Crazy?

I need help with my itinerary. I have been going back and forth for weeks about what to do and where to go. My husband will be getting his vacation picks from the fire dept any day now and I have to know if this will work. We are late 30's with a 14 yr old daughter and are used to long road trips. We will be coming in the summer, hopefully late June early July. We are driving from Cincinnati, Ohio with our pop up tent camper.

Day 1 & 2 - Driving to Colorado Springs hotel

Day 3 - Early Pikes Peak Cog Rail, Lunch?, Drive though Garden of the Gods on the way to Great Sand Dunes National Park hotel

Day 4 - Sand Dunes until gets to hot, Lunch?, Drive to Silverton campground with a short stop in Durango

Day 5 - Silverton & Ouray

Day 6 - More time in Silverton or Ouray then drive to Mesa Verde with maybe another short stop in Durango

Day 7 - Mesa Verde

Day 8 - Drive to Monument Valley with a short stop in 4 Corners - have most of the day in Monument Valley

Day 9 - Spend a bit more time in Monument Valley, drive to Moab, maybe with stop in Gooseneck and Hole in the Rock

Day 10,11,12 - Moab, Arches, Canyonlands and the state park there (the name escapes me right now)

Day 13 - Drive to Glenwood Springs, maybe going through Colorado National Monument. (while in Glenwood, maybe hanging lake hike, hot spring pool and maybe zipline/ropes course)

Day 14 - most of day Glenwood Springs, drive to Idaho Springs

Day 15 - Idaho Springs, Mt Evans, Casa Bonita (did both as a kid and wanted to show my kid)

Day 16&17 - Drive Home

This is still a work in progress. If this is insane, please let me know. Should I add or take off anthing? Any suggestions campground wise, meals, activities would be appreciated. I've done a lot of research and I keep confusing myself. Thanks for all your help. I will probably post this on at least a few forums for my route. Thanks again, Rhonda

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,955 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About figured itinerary out but is it Crazy?

Actually, this is a pretty decent itinerary - better than most we see here. You can find some good general documents to help you in the links in the upper right of this forum. Just a few notes.

- The Colorado Springs overnight and transition to Sand Dunes is probably do-able but a bit tight.

- Between Mesa Verde and MV, Hovenweep is nice but really a mini version of what you will have just seen. Four Corners stop is worthwhile but will be short. We like driving the Arizona route to Kayenta and up to MV but you have several choices.

- At MV, try to get The View hotel if you can otherwise Goulding's is great. Definitely hit Goosenecks and also the Moki Dugway. There are also a huge number of great, easy hikes up on Cedar Mesa to ancient ruins. Fallen Roof (Ceiling) is a great one.

- You have enough time in Moab if you keep it to Canyonlands Island in the Sky, Arches and Dead Horse.

- On departure, take the Colorado River road over to Cisco and I-70

- Wow, loved Casa Bonita. Is it still there? Great idea.

Have fun. You have a decent plan.

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About figured itinerary out but is it Crazy?

Thanks for all the info. Yes, Casa Bonita is still there. I was very excited when I found out. My daughter will love it.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,827 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: About figured itinerary out but is it Crazy?

Since most of this is in Colorado I hope you posted there. The only thing that concerned me was Sand Dunes to Silverton. I don't know how long that will take, but it seemed abit much??

Definitely take the time for Goosenecks.

4. Re: About figured itinerary out but is it Crazy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, January 15, 2013