We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

west water raft trip

Grand Junction...
Destination Expert
for Bluff
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
west water raft trip

seeking information on a one day West Water raft trip. Has anyone done this trip and what was it like.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: west water raft trip

I have. I loved it. It may have been partially due to the group I was with, but I thought it was great. I was definitely ready to get out and do it again.

I love being on the water and I love the Colorado, so I got what I was expecting.

There are some flat water sections. Then there are the rapids, and they were fun and exciting, but as is the case with rapids they are over fairly quickly. We stopped for lunch which was great. Each water level changes the experience slightly due of course to rocks being visible or not...some of the minor rapids at higher water levels even out and disappear.

I think whether you really enjoy it would depend on which company you are with, who else is in the boat with you, and what kind of trip you are expecting.

Are you thinking about it for you and RDD?

Grand Junction...
Destination Expert
for Bluff
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: west water raft trip

Actually Susan I was thinking of our TA group for next years meet up in Moab.

I enjoyed the Float trip in Glen Canyon but I'm ready for a little more action.

What do you think? They have a full day trips and I'm just trying to get some things to do and see once we get the next meet up blog going. Guess I just can't wait to see everyone again.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: west water raft trip

You really are thinking ahead :-)

The Westwater would be a great group activity, can be about twice as expensive as the 1/2 day raft trip we took last week depending on the company.

I don't know how long they go in the fall though?? Just checking Moab Adventure and their next trip isn't till May. Doesn't mean they didn't have any in October.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: west water raft trip

Wow, srw is really getting out ahead of the game for the next meet-up! I'm all for early planning,

Grand Junction...
Destination Expert
for Bluff
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: west water raft trip

Sorry guys I'm just in the thinking stage. I know the Oct. trip with one of the rafting companies is around $139. per person for all day & might include lunch but I have to check again. I only checked one or 2. the ones I checked did have trips in Oct. I am hoping we can do the meet up a week or 2 earlier. RDD really wants to do the Bluff fall art fair. and I think it is normally the 3rd weekend in Oct. He missed it this year and was disappointed , but he didn't want to miss the "meet up" either.

Edited: 3:00 pm, November 04, 2011
Grand Junction...
Destination Expert
for Bluff
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: west water raft trip

Allen, My vote is for you being the head of the committee again. You did such an excellent job. I could never keep it all together. I was just looking for suggestions for when the time came to start talking about it. I am willing to help out in anyway I can but not be the Leader.

I was looking at horseback rides too. I didn't find anything spectacular. Also I know you mentioned getting out with RDD to see some more remote ruins etc. and I know that Noel is wanting to see the Citadel (if he doesn't get there before hand) RDD said he'll willing to take you and anyone else who wants to go, it would be an all day hike. I know I am way ahead of the game but just kinda shopping around for things of interest. If the gals don't want to tag along with RDD I have some other hikes in mind that I could take them to closer to Moab.

Edited: 3:21 pm, November 04, 2011
Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: west water raft trip

I went on that rafting trip in September about 2 or 3 years ago. It's a long day because the bus drive out there to the "put in" is an hour or more out of town. Several good #4 white water.

I already have an itinerary (wish list) for the "meet up" in Moab 2012. This rafting trip is definitely a must-do!

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: west water raft trip

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question.

I went with Adrift.

The time on the water was probably 4 hours or more. Travel in the bus back and forth takes a long time. In addition to the two or three #4 rated places there's a whole lotta #3 rated places. Whoever sits in the front definitely gets wet a lot. That's where I was on a warm mid-September day. No one got thrown out, though; it's not that rough.

This is an oarsman trip. Actually, an oarswoman trip when I went. They said this was required because paddlers lose strength too early and there's at least one rough spot that takes a pro to maneuver. An extra man, or spotter, rides nearby in a kayak to assist. We'd have to ask if we want to paddle plus have an oarsman.

Cameras are kept in dry bags or a ziplok inside a pocket. You'd pull it out to take a picture then quickly put it back.

Edited: 3:47 pm, November 04, 2011
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,829 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: west water raft trip

I could go for a raft trip.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: west water raft trip

rafting, golfing, 4 wheeling,,, I might talk MrKbec into coming.