We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab 4-wheelin' recommendations please

DFW, Texas
Level Contributor
98 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Moab 4-wheelin' recommendations please

My wife and I will be renting a stock jeep for two days and are looking for some fun and scenic 4-wheel drive roads. We're not looking for the "Elephant Back" type trails, just some that will take us to some pretty views that you may not see from the pavement. We're looking at the White Rim Trail. Thanks!

New Orleans
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab 4-wheelin' recommendations please

On our last trip to Moab last April, we spent half a day driving the potash road / white rim road as far as mussleman arch. It was fantastic and can't wait to go back and do an overnight trip to cover the whole road. Fantastic scenery and lots of solitude.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,955 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab 4-wheelin' recommendations please

Where are you renting a Jeep? In Moab? The reason I ask is that most of the Moab rentals are NOT stock. A stock Jeep is of limited value in Moab. If you're renting in Moab you'll get a Jeep that's reasonably equipped for the trails with good tires and lift. You can pay a bit more for lockers, but you don't need that for your first trip.

White Rim is OK, but it's all lowland driving. Yes, it is worthwhile to go out to to Musselman Arch. But after a while, it gets really boring. If you do it, just head out the highway to Canyonlands, go down the Shafer Switchbacks (which is really cool) and on out White Rim to Musselman. I wouldn't go further. You can come back along the river to Moab, but it's super long and not that interesting. A better route is to go back up the switchbacks then out on the Long Trail. That will give you an interesting route where you actually go under a huge rock.

Our favorite first trail for visitors we take to Moab is Hurrah Pass. It's super easy, just take the Kane Creek road out. You may have water to cross, which is fun. Then you snake your way up to Hurrah Pass. Road improvements have made it better than it used to be. But it's still a fun, challenging first time Jeep road. You can continue on to Chicken Corners, too, which you would enjoy.

One of the best beginner Jeep routes is Gemini Bridges. Head north of Moab to get the trail. You can continue on to the road into Canyonlands and combine it with your Shafer/White Rim experience.

If you need a Jeep, Farrabee's is a good rental outlet.

If you want to just play around a bit, head up to Fins and Things by the Slickrock Trail near town.

Have fun.

Edited: 11:31 pm, September 10, 2011
Belleville, IL
Level Contributor
305 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab 4-wheelin' recommendations please

I second Tumbleeweeds recommendation for Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners. Fantastic views at the end of the Chicken Corners trail. You can do the trail in a stock Jeep, you should have plenty of ground clearance and it's a fairly easy trail.

You can also do a loop by taking Gemini Bridges or the Shafer switchbacks up to the Canyonlands Island of the Sky district area. You could visit Island of the Sky and/or Dead Horse Point and then take the Long Canyon trail back down to Moab.

I highly recommend Charles Wells Guide to Moab Backroads and 4X4 roads. He includes maps, GPS coordinates, photos, and trail ratings so you can pick a trail you are comfortable with and know how to get there.

I do wonder what you mean by stock Jeep though. If you are renting from a normal rental car company, they usually don't allow you to drive on unpaved roads in their rental vehicles. If you are talking about renting a Jeep from one of the Jeep rental places in Moab, than you can take them almost anywhere with only a few hardcore trails off limits.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moab 4-wheelin' recommendations please

I really enjoy going off-road on BLM, so I concentrate on the areas due north of Arches and the roads around Dead Horse Point. Canyon Rims Rec Area has some great routes also.

I have a "stock" jeep and have only had problems in a few places. But then my jeep isn't a rental...so, check your contract before signing!! :)

*Pixie*

TN
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moab 4-wheelin' recommendations please

I am visting Moab in May and my boyfriend and I love to 4-wheel. Unfortunately with most of the rental sites I have looked at you have to be 25 to drive. Does anyone know of a rental company that might bend this a little? Thanks! Kati

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moab 4-wheelin' recommendations please

Great advise. We drove Potash Road/Shafer Trail from Moab and Longs Canyon (?) back. Heavy rain the night before, so a little mud early. Other than that, pretty easy. Fun and very scenic.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moab 4-wheelin' recommendations please

Kati...

If you haven't seen this already, here is a list of rental companies:

www.discovermoab.com/autorental

If this still doesn't work I suggest sitting in the back seat of someone else's vehicle. It's still lots of fun:

www.discovermoab.com/tour

The first column is 4 Wheel Drive Tours.

8. Re: Moab 4-wheelin' recommendations please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, February 26, 2013