We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on acitivities and outfitters

Boston
1 post
Save Topic
Need advice on acitivities and outfitters

I am planning a trip to the Moab area for 3-4 days in late June with two kids - ages 10 & 13. I have thinking of using an outfitter for most trips, yet they all kinda look like they have the same offerings. What are the differences between Adrift, Tagalong, Moab Adventure Center, Navtec, and Highpoint Hummer? Any of them partcularly recommended?

Also, any suggestions for activities to do with the kids would be most welcome!

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on acitivities and outfitters

In late June it will be HOT in Moab, so spending some time on the river is a good idea. I have only had experience with Tagalong which has been around a long time. We ( 2 adults, 2 boys) did a half day raft trip with Tagalong which was very fun. Other than the river trip I would not suggest an outfitter. You can have an incredible time without damaging the park or surroundings in a 4 x 4. Rent a car and do it yourself! You don't need a guide in the park.

While in Arches NP you absolutely must schedule yourself for a ranger guided hike into the Fiery Furnace. It sounds hot, but it's actually one of the most shaded hikes in the park and absolutely spectacular. As a 52 year old native Utahn, I have visited the park many many times and never leave without doing the Fiery Furnace hike.

If you take the Delicate Arch trail (it's the one with the most famous arch at the end), please do it first thing in the morning (like 8:00 a.m.) even if you have to drag your 13 year old for the first half hour. Take plenty of water and force everyone to drink some at every stop. You will not feel that you are sweating because the air is so dry and your sweat evaporates quickly, but you can easily become dehydrated. Take at least a quart per person on this hike. The last turn on the trail will reveal the arch in its immense glory. No picture does it justice.

The Sand Dune arch is very fun with kids. There's a huge sandpile at the bottom that they can play in. And yes, your 13 year old will play just like a 10 year old. It's also pretty shady at the end of the trail and a good spot to rest. It's an easy hike.

For a treat, take the Devil's Garden hike right outside the campground for an evening hike. Take a flashlight and stay on the trail. The park at night is amazing and no one goes out. You'll be perfectly safe but get to see more stars than you knew existed.

Have fun!

Florida
Level Contributor
420 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on acitivities and outfitters

UtahRoots,

What are the rapids like on the 1/2 day raft trip? I have a 10 year old who is a state finisher in folkstyle wrestling, but a REAL chicken!!!!! He just saws the pix online and said "heck no!"

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,919 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice on acitivities and outfitters

I wouldn't worry about any rapids on the 1/2 day trip. The kids will love it!

I like the people at Moab Adventure center.

The difference in the companies is how they train the guides and the emphasis they put on safety. I don't think any have had catastrophes lately...though I suppose we wouldn't necessarily hear about it up here in SLC.

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice on acitivities and outfitters

I wonder what river they showed the picture of. In late June- for a 1/2 day trip- I can't imagine you'll be seeing too much whitewater where they will be taking you.

Florida
Level Contributor
420 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice on acitivities and outfitters

ok, good. I will go ahead with Moab Adv. Center- it was between them and tagalong. But we are using Moab for the sunset hummer thing, so I will see if they can do a package price. THANKS! And I will tell the little guy it'll all be great fun! :)

6. Re: Need advice on acitivities and outfitters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 30, 2009