We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Jeep Safari really intrusive to a visitor who would like...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is Jeep Safari really intrusive to a visitor who would like...

Does the place turn into a zoo? My Spring Break falls on the same dates and the Safari and if it's like a giant frat party I'd rather not go. Also, if it doesn;t really impact our visit..what would you suggest for a week trip out of Salt Lake and return speanding about 2 days in Salt Lake? How is the drive from Salt Lake to Moab?

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Jeep Safari really intrusive to a visitor who would like...

Hopefully hendo or another Moab resident will chime in, but I sure would avoid Moab at that time if at all possible. Lodging will probably be hard to come by. That being said, Arches and Canyonlands National Parks (especially the Island in the Sky district) shouldn't be too badly affected, as there just aren't many routes open to the Jeepers in those places.

Then you again, you might find the spectacle around town in Moab to be a cultural experience, but I just find in infuriating to see so many bozos and their absurd motorized toys primed to rip up the desert--a triumph of testosterone over common sense.

The drive from SLC to Moab is pretty easy. Usually under 4 hours. There can be traffic delays heading south from SLC, and through Utah County, at limited times of the day. Also, the stretch from Provo to Price has some mountainous sections which can get some snow and can be a bit dangerous in any weather due to aggressive drivers trying to make ill advised passes. Not too bad though.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
294 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Jeep Safari really intrusive to a visitor who would like...

brettyb pretty much nailed it. If I had an option I would visit Moab any other week of the year other than Jeep Safari - but you have to remember that I live here so I'm likely reacting to the fact that it feels like our town gets completely hijacked by the Jeep Safari crowd. There is a reason that for 7 of the last 8 Jeep Safari's we've been out of town!

Having said that - and to give credit where credit is due, the folks that come here as participants in the actual Jeep Safari itself are a pretty good crown. The Red Rock 4-Wheelers have been running this event for years and they do a good job. Organized rides with trip leaders and all and other than one route in the Needles District of Canyonlands they do not use the parks at all. It's the non-participant motorheads that are the problem - the party crowd pretty much hangs out up Kane Creek and at Sand Flats - I would avoid those areas at all costs. Yes you could visit Arches and Island in the Sky without really knowing the event is even going on. But lodging will be hard to find (although not impossible yet), restaurants will be crowded, testosterone, beer, and motor oil will be in abundance.

Payson, UT
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Jeep Safari really intrusive to a visitor who would like...

I would suggest Capital Reef National Park near Torrey, UT. Great redrock vistas, very quiet. Eat at Cafe Diablo if they are open and have rattlesnake cakes. You'll have a great time.

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Jeep Safari really intrusive to a visitor who would like...

Will you be camping or lodging? I agree with what has been said so far. Listen and avoid unless you are willing to chime in. It's like ..why go to Sturgis during the bike rally unless you want to participate? That said- go see Arches NP and skip the town of Moab, drive down to Goblin Valley, go see Bryce NP, and Zions NP, and then drive back to Salt Lake. It's about 6 hours from Zion on I-15 back to SLC-maybe more if the traffic is bad.

Ypsilanti, Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Jeep Safari really intrusive to a visitor who would like...

Could you please tell me the dates of Jeep Safari? I was so glad to run across this post. Thank you!

Ypsilanti, Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Jeep Safari really intrusive to a visitor who would like...

I found the dates on a Moab website. They are April 8-16, 2006--for anyone who would like to know.

Torrey, Utah
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Jeep Safari really intrusive to a visitor who would like...

If I were you, I would come visit Capitol Reef National Park then. Its pretty slow that time of year and the weather is great! Moab is just insane during Safari, no matter where you go!! Call John at the Rim Rock Inn at 1-888-447-4676. It has the best view of the park and it is so quiet! Let him know Jeep-Jeff sent you. Good luck and I hope you have a great trip!!