We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moab to SLC

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Moab to SLC

We are meeting friends in Las Vegas who are flying in from another part of the country and driving through to see this beautiful area...sadly work does not permit us to continue on

with them to New Mexico..and we fly out of SLC very early in the morning, so we will depart the evening before..Any ideas on

the best way to Salt Lake City? We will rent a car if we have to, but the rates one way, one night, are quoted almost as much as our flight bacxk east? Any good ideas? shuttles, flights, etc.?? thanks all for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Kaysville, Utah
Level Contributor
32 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab to SLC

There's really only one way from Moab to SLC - Hwy 191 up to I-70 where you get on the freeway briefly till you exit at Hwy 6 and go up thru Price. Hwy 6 finally comes out to I-15 and then you go north the last 40-50 miles into Salt Lake.

It's about a 4-4 1/2 hr drive. I would suggest you avoid hitting the Price to Spanish Fork portion of trip after dark, it's a canyon and there is a good chance of seeing deer off the side of the road at night. Many of them get hit and that's something worth avoiding.

I doubt there are any shuttles between Moab and Salt Lake, there may be flights but I don't know of any.

Mentioned in this post
Spanish Fork
Spanish Fork
Wasatch Range, UT
Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab to SLC

Hi

Another option, to avoid driving US6 in the evening, would be US191 to I-70. Stay on I-70 to Salina then US50 and I-15 to SLC. It's a few more miles , but time-wise it will take no longer, about four/four and a half hours, and the section of I-70 between Green River and Salina is particularly scenic.

Drive carefully.

Tony

Mentioned in this post
Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
294 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab to SLC

Salmon Air has a couple of flights daily from MOab to Salt Lake City: http://www.salmonair.com/html/summer.htm

Big Horn Express has a daily van shuttle from Moab to Salt Lake City: http://www.bighornexpress.com/

Mentioned in this post
Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moab to SLC

thanks all..cannot wait!!

johnnieb

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moab to SLC

When is your trip? One idea is to skip Moab and go to Zions National Park with your friends and then you can drive back and fly in and out of Vegas to save one way rates. It's beautiful in Zion and you will have more time for sight seeing. http://www.nps.gov/zion/

Mentioned in this post
Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moab to SLC

thanks we are going to Zion on the way for a few days..then

to Moab..Its like $360 for a one day one way rental, so we are opting for Salmon Air (yikes..I hate small planes..but I guess we will deal with it!)...have a 6a.m. flight out of SLC (10/5) so we either ride in the morning transport (big Horn) or fly in the afternoon..this has got to be the only time that flying is cheaper than driving a rental!

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moab to SLC

what about buses that run between the route LV and SLC and renting a car in Moab, just for Moab? It may be a hassle-I don't know. http://www.saltlakecoach.com/ I hate small planes, too!

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moab to SLC

thanks..we are going to breathe big, and board a small (I think tiny) plane. Hope my stomach lasts!

Louisiana, USA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moab to SLC

I just flew on Salmon Air last week and it was better than any flight I took with a large airline.

The scenery is gorgeous, so keep you camera out. The take-off and landings are as smooth as butter.