We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Moab ...how long do we need

Planning a canyonlands trip....coming from Australia...only have 1 week. Heading out from Vegas want to visit Zion/Bryce/Lake Powell/Moab. How long do we need in Moab to see most major points of interest? Would 2 nights be enough?

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moab ...how long do we need

I think you're stretching yourselves a bit thin. Vegas to Zion is 3 hours. You should spend 2 nights there. Another 1 1/2 hours to Bryce. Personally, I'd spend a night there, but others have done Bryce in the morning and moved on to Lake Powell, which is a minimum of 3 hours driving. You can get away with one night there unless you're planning to take the tour to Rainbow Bridge, which will take the better part of a day. From Lake Powell to Moab is a long drive with lots to see between the two. There are two options: drive southeast through the reservation past Monument Valley and then north. This is 5 hours and 275 miles (without stopping at Monument Valley). OR you can go northwest/northeast on Scenic Byway 12 through Torrey and Capitol Reef National Park, which is 7 1/2 hours and 408 miles without stops. Going this way, you are better off to stop a night in Torrey. The "short" drive back to Vegas from Moab is 6 1/2 hours (457 miles) via as much interstate as possible. You do the math. I think you need a minimum of 8 days to hit Zion/Bryce/Lake Powell and Moab.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moab ...how long do we need

Your question: Moab....how long do we need?

The answer to that is it depends entirely on what you want to receive from your visit. Normally I would say a week would be a good beginning.

However then you add that you are traveling from Vegas and want to see Zion, Bryce and Lake Powell...Does that week include returning to Vegas? I agree with Cdudley, too much.

But if you insist then yes two nights in Moab with one full day and half days on both sides will give you a tiny taste of what is there, though it is a long drive for that tiny taste.

If it were me I would stick with Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef NP and leave Moab area for another trip.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moab ...how long do we need

I largely agree with jeans' assessment. Adding Moab is possible, but it is a long way, and you'll hardly run out of things to see in southwest and south central parts of the state. Of course, a lot depends on how much hiking (aka bushwalking, tramping) you want to do.

One other thing about Moab--check the calendar of events on discovermoab.com to ascertain whether your planned visit coincides with a special event. There are some weekends when you would probably want to avoid Moab altogether (like the Jeep Safari), or at least reserve a room far in advance.

4. Re: Moab ...how long do we need

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, September 13, 2009