We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

My wife and I will be leaving our two young kids for a five day getaway this October. We have read the rewiews for both places and were certainly leaning towards the Sorrel River Lodge as the rooms seem to look a bit nicer and their swimming pool (which we hope to use) is heated. We would love to hear from anyone who may have actually been to, or visited, both.

Thanks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

I haven't been to Sorrel River. We stayed at Red Cliffs last July and loved it. Relaxed, friendly, helpful. The rooms were large and comfortable. We loved the food. The thing that most impressed me was the location. It was unbeatably the best view I've ever had.

Whether it would hold up for a five day getaway I can't say, but I would go back there for sure.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

I've been to Red Cliffs several times and have always loved it. It's a bit more in line with my budget, however, than Sorrel River Lodge. The two are actually fairly close to each other on the same beautiful byway. The grounds of Sorrel River are more manicured with lots of trees. I haven't seen the rooms, but my feeling is that it is a bit more upscale, and Red Cliffs has more of a Western adventure lodge flair.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

I stayed at the Red Cliffs last week for a couple of nights and loved the place. There is a great hot tub at the pool and the huge pool itself was cool but not cold. Nice gym and if you need to do laundry its in the pool/gym complex.

The rooms were also huge with kitchenettes and porches facing the river. The museum is free and great to visit.

The dinner menu was okay but not great. I ordered ribs and sent them back. They brought out grilled trout which was delicious. The wife had salmon and loved it.

They have a nice breakfast but we left early and ate elsewhere. They do not serve lunch but have sandwiches in their coolers.

Excellent staff.

I can't compare with Sorrell but, for the money, I'd recommend Red Cliffs.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

My husband and I stayed at Sorrel River Ranch 1st week of August as part of a 6 night ranch/river package with tour down Cataract Canyon, and had dinner at the Red Cliffs Lodge on our own the weekend after our group trip ended. Both are located about 15 miles from Moab on the same stretch of river very close to each other (within 2 miles?). They are literally the only two places out in the middle of nowhere, along a winding riverside road through the canyons. Pretty drive, but not too far from Moab activities. Both have

gorgeous locations, but... 5 star treatment at the Sorrel! Think luxury ranch accomodations, very private, all with views, impeccable staff, picturesque guided horseack rides, full service spa (the couples massage especially good after the horseback ride!) Pool is awesome, right next to river. Website pics don't do it justice. Sorrel restaurant attire is nice casual/Red Cliffs is casual.

I suggest maybe having dinner at Red Cliffs for variety on their deck at sunset. They have a winery onsite as well.

If you are interested in other activities in Moab, my husband and I did canyoneering tour (rapelling), hummer safari, and mountain biking in addition to our camping/rafting tour down Cataract Canyon. Can answer questions about planning your getaway if they come up since we spent 10 days in the Moab area. Book the Sorrel for sure!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
68 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

I would agree with the last post! My husband and I and our three sons stayed for a week at the Sorrel in June and would absolutely recommend it. The vistas from the porch of our rooms were spectacular both morning and evening. Great service, nice amenities in the room, spa, etc. It is definitely a high end experience (member of Luxury Hotels group) but if that is what you want, you will not be disappointed. As I mentioned in my Hotel Review, the Sorrel restaurant choices are limited for dinner. Our family ate one night in the dining room (food was terrific) but then spent the other evenings dining elsewhere, including one dinner at the Red Cliffs. The drive to Moab is not too bad (majestic scenery) and we planned our days to be in town for dinner most nights.

The one night we did dine at Red Cliffs we found the food to be just barely OK (although the boys loved the fresh baked rolls!) and the lobby, restaurant area does not leave you with the sense of a luxury hotel...comfy and inviting though. I would recommend stopping by the movie museum in the hotel (free to the public).

Enjoy Moab...there is lots to do!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on both places. Seeing people who are likely complete strangers taking the time to help out others by sharing their experiences is such a positive experience and one of the great things about this site.

It looks like we will be going with our initial inclination which was to stay at the Sorrel River Lodge. The suggestion to stop by Red Cliff's for dinner is a good one that we will certainly follow up on.

We'll post a trip report when we return in Mid-October.

Thanks again to all those who responded.

NY
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

I am planning a trip to Moab for the fall. i haven't decided on September or October yet? Would you suggest one or the other weather-wise? We will be hiking and mountain biking. I'm pretty sure I have decided to stay at the Red Cliffs Lodge. Thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,999 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

C...the two are only a few miles apart on the Colorado River. Weather wise there would be no difference.

9. Re: Sorrel River Lodge or Red Cliffs Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, September 16, 2009