We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

central fla.
Level Contributor
219 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

Assuming a route from Moab south on 191 to 163 to 160 then eventually to 64 ending at El Tovar resort at south rim (maybe with a few hours stopping at scenic sites....any suggestions?) .....how long of a trip is this in one day? Or should I take one day off Moab and split this trip in two days? Either way is fine with us.

Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

I think it is about 6 hours of driving. With stops, maybe a 9 hour day. I think with stops it is doable. We drove that route with a 5 year old hyper child and stopped along the way. Had a fun trip.

central fla.
Level Contributor
219 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

Thanks, Casa......I think I will keep the 2 day stay in Moab. Which leads me to this .....we will be travelling from Bryce on R12 to R24 then I-70 to R191 and Moab. Do you know how long a trip this is ?(probably no long stops along the way). Do you think we could drive in and site see Arches NP in the afternoon, check in to our cabin at Red Cliff Lodge that evening then spend more time exploring Canyonlands NP all of the next day? We may do a little hiking but we mostly like to just take in the views.

Thanks again.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,224 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

It looks like about 5 1/2 hour drive. I have not been in that part of UT since a kid!! Approximately 260 miles.

If you are early risers, and don't stop too much, yes I'm sure you will have time to see some of Arches, especially if you are going in the summer, days are until 9pm or so.

Have fun.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

Hi

You can drive from Bryce to Moab within 5 hours but you'll miss the sights along one of the most beautiful roads in the Usa (www.scenicbyway12.com) Not to mention Capitol Reef and Goblin Valley SP. Believe me, you WILL stop along ut12. If you still want to do the drive in 5 hours, start early and visit Canyonlands Island in the Sky and Dead Horse point first. Next day all day Arches.As said, it's possible to do the drive Moab-Grand Canyon Village in 6 hours but none or only short time for visits to Canyonlands The Needles, Natural Bridges NM, Moki Dugway, Muley Point, Gooseneck SP, Mexican Hat, Monument Valley and the awesome east rim drive in Grand Canyon NP. If you can, make it a 2 days drive but on the other hand, one whole day Moab also is short.

Can't you add another day to your itinerary? You are visiting one of the most beautiful area's in the world.

Tet

Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

Hi,

I'm not sure about the driving times you are asking about but I stayed at Red Cliffs Lodge. Last year I took my daughter on a rafting trip on the Green River through Western River Expeditions in Moab via Moab Adventure Center. When we were not on the river we stayed at Red Cliffs Lodge. The scenic road that takes you to the lodge is spectacular. Right after you turn onto that road on the right side there is a natural spring that comes out of the rock bring empty drinking bottles the water is great, you might have to wait your turn but it's worth it. I would most defiantly stay At Red Cliffs again, can't say anything bad about it and I've worked at hotels, resorts all my life. Rooms were nice and clean, unique layout with the 3 steps down to kitchenette. Try to request a room where it is up against where they let the horses out to pasture. Early in the morning while having a coffee on the little porch I saw the horses peeking out through the trees. Dinners at the lodge was real nice, really, really good steaks. Being out west I had to have steak. Dinning room overlooks the river. Words can not describe the beauty you will see in this area. Pictures can not justify the feeling I got being there and breathing it all in, we didn't want to come home. We did not do any of the parks did not have time, do as much as you can. Let me know if you have any questions. Have a great trip. Got any room lol!

Gwennie

central fla.
Level Contributor
219 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

Gwennie.....thanks for the review of the Red Cliff Lodge. We will probably be staying there in late Sept. The photos look wonderful. I know it is several miles out of Moab. How easy is it to get to Arches NP from there?

Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

You're welcome. It's real close. Once you travel the 12 miles or so aways from the lodge and get to the stop sign at highway 191 you turn right (north) about 4 -5 miles and it's on the right hand side. We drove by there a couple times. You know what an ant farm is? Well from the road looking at the entrance to the park it looks to be all sheer rock and real high. Taking a longer look you can see cars moving left to right. It reminded me of a ant farm, you'll see.

central fla.
Level Contributor
219 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

Gwennie....thanks again. We are taking a two week trip for our 36th anniversary. Fly in to Las Vagas, then to Zion (Desert Pearl).....Bryce (Stone Canyon Inn)......Moab (Red Cliff Lodge)....South Rim (El Tovar).....Sedona (Canyon Wren Cabins)....Lake Havasu (Agave Hotel).... then back to LV. Finally back to Orlando. All of the places got wonderful reviews at Trip Advisor. I'll write a review when we get back in Oct.

Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

Congratulations on 36 years! It sounds like a fantastic trip. You probably won’t spend too much time in hotels, shower and sleep. Lake Havasu is where the London Bridge is. We Americans bought it from the Brits. They dismantled it into numbered pieced and shipped over. Americans thought we were getting what is really the Tower Bridge.

All the people we encountered on our trip were so nice. Not too sure how it is in Orlando but down here in Ft. Myers people always act like they are doing you a favor when waiting on you in the hospitality industry. The folks out west are happy you’re there and want you to have a good time.

We flew into Salt Lake, stayed over night, got into the rental car and drove down to Moab. Stayed at Red Cliffs that first night, went to our trip orientation meeting at Moab Adventure Center that night, then next morning met back at the Adventure Center and all got on buses, that took us to the air field where there were a bunch of 6 seater planes waiting for us. Early morning flight over the country was awesome. We landed on top of a mesa one plane after another, got our gear and hiked down to the waiting rafts, then on the river for 4 days. Our guides did all the cooking really really good food too. Coming off the river we went back to Red Cliffs for 3 days. We did horseback riding there too. Then drove back to Salt Lake stayed last night then flew back home. Was the best trip I ever did. It’s so good getting out of our flat landed Florida. Write back I want to know how it goes for you. Take care.

10. Re: Driving time Moab to S. Rim GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, September 03, 2009