We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harpers Ferry Hill(s)

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Harpers Ferry Hill(s)

Hello:

I just read about hills in Harpers Ferry that might be difficult to walk. How big are the hills? Are they like San Francisco hills?

Also, just supposing there is a government shut down in October 2014 (when I will be there), are there things to do in HF? I read about the NPS parking lot, will that still be open?

Thanks,

jc

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harpers Ferry Hill(s)

Harpers Ferry is very hilly, but the terrain is not too treacherous. I've seen people in crutches and wheelchairs get around just fine.

The park is a big part of Harpers Ferry, but not all of it. There are merchants and restaurants and tour companies not affiliated with the NPS. IF there is a suit down in October of 2014, there is still a lot to do.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Harpers Ferry Hill(s)

Oh thank you, that's good to know. A shut down is always in the back of my mind but I hope that doesn't happen again. At least I should be able to walk around the town.

jc

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harpers Ferry Hill(s)

If there would be a shut down, I would imagine you could still walk around the park owned part of town. You just wouldn't be able to go inside the buildings or museums.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Harpers Ferry Hill(s)

Thank you, let's just hope our government does its job so we don't have another fiasco like last year.

I'm really looking forward to visiting that area. I've been planning this trip for a year now. Only 3 months to go!

jc

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harpers Ferry Hill(s)

Hello, If the National Park closes down, there will still be parking at a commuter train station on Potomac Street as well as up on Washington Street in front the town park and also at the Hilltop House Hotel, which is closed, but their parking lots are available to use.

If the Park closes, their exhibits will also be closed, however the merchants, including shops and restaurants will still be open and I personally do offer Historical Tours of Harpers Ferry and all of the streets are owned by The Town, not by The National Park, so I/we are still able to walk around and see the sites. There is more information about my tours (Historical by day, Ghostly by night) at: www.obejoyfull.com and www.harpersferryghost.20m.com.

There are some hilly streets in Harpers Ferry similar to San Francisco, thought not to the same degree as in San Francisco, and additionally, the town is very small, encompassing only approximately 15 to 20 total blocks.

Huntington Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Harpers Ferry Hill(s)

Thanks Rick! I really want to see the town as so many historical things happened there and it sounds like it's really beautiful.

jc

7. Re: Harpers Ferry Hill(s)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, July 23, 2015