We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

Virginia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

Can anyone comment on the Ghost Tours offered in Harper's Ferry? Any good?

Thanks,

Scott

VA
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

We took one of these tours in the late 80s and it was fun. Kids liked it. Lots of walking, some of it up hill.

wilmington, DE
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

We're four mature adults planning on visiting Harper's Ferry later this month. One of us cannot maneuver without a cane, and sometimes uses a walker. A 2nd one has sciatica and can't walk without stopping to rest. I've been there and I know the hills can be daunting if you're not totally "healthy". So, is there any other way to get around if you can't do much walking? Appreciate comments. Thanks. Wilmington, DE

VA
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

I would think that a motorized wheelchair might work. It is very hilly and steep, but the surface is flat. I dont think I would want to push someone in a wheelchair....

wilmington, DE
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

Thanks. I guess I was hoping they had some sort of open-air trolley by now to take visitors around the town. At one time, I was able to park my car downtown without having to use the shuttles. Is this still permitted?

Harpers Ferry
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

By parking at the National Historical Park entrance off of 340, you can take a free shuttle into Lower Town where the museums and shops are located. There is very limited parking in Lower Town along Potomac Street and in the train station parking lot. You can drive around Upper Town and stop to see the views along Ridge Street or the Storer College campus and the cemetery on Fillmore Street.

wilmington, DE
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

So, if we get their early enough, it sounds like we can still drive into "lower town" and or find parking at the train station. Thanks. Good to know.

Charles Town, West...
Level Contributor
4 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

My wife and I did a tour a few weeks ago and we thought it was really good. The lady who was our guide wore a really pretty red dress with a hoop skirt and she was a really good story teller. The walk is not that strenous. The most strenous part was when she took us up the stone steps to the church, but everyone made it ok. I would highly reccomend it to anyone.

wilmington, DE
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

I suppose you don't recall which tour the lady in the pretty red dress belonged to? There are some bogus tour operators out there, so if we get to go on one, I'd like it to be interesting and accurate as far as historical details.

Toranvill
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

I took that tour, the one where the lady wore a pretty red dress. She had a snood and gloves and hoop skirt and everything else. She also carried and lantern. I took it about a month or so ago. She was really good. Her husband is a town historian or something. He gives historical tours during the day. As far as I am aware of she is the real deal. The tours were handed down to her by the lady who started them back in the 1970's. They are located on High Street, that much I remember. My sister accidently took the 'bogus' ghost tour 2 weeks ago. That lady wore shorts and a black t-shirt. My sister called her 'underwhelming', 'Boring', and 'incoherrent'.

wilmington, DE
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ghost Tours in Harper's Ferry

Thanks. I'll look for the tour based on High Street...hope there's only one located there. In any event, we'll have to watch the weather; looks like lots of rain beginning Wednesday through Saturday and we might have to postpone the trip. Nothing worse than four seniors trying to navigate in the rain with a walker for one of us. Ha, Ha.