We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Saipan for a day

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
93 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
In Saipan for a day

Will be visiting Saipan with a cruise ship for a day. Any recommendations about what to do/see? Is it better to get a local tour guide, or is it okay to go out on our own?

Thanks,

Donna

Saipan, CNMI
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Saipan for a day

It is ok to go out on your own. We have many tourist maps and car rental services at reasonable prices, so it's easy to go around the island on your own. There are many tour services as well, but they can be quite pricey. I've had friends come here who decided to check the island out on their own because tour prices were too high for them.

I hope this helps. If you need to know anything else about Saipan, feel free to ask.

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
93 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Saipan for a day

Thanks for the response! We were thinking of doing some snorkeling. Are there good spots from shore, or would you recommend an excursion boat?

Donna

Saipan, CNMI
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Saipan for a day

Well, I'd have to say you can go snorkeling at any beach on island, but if you want to see some good underwater life, you should take the ferry boat to Mañagaha island. Mañagaha has great underwater life to see when snorkeling. It also has a volleyball net, a couple of stores and refreshments, and lots of white sand so overcrowding is never an issue.

If you need any more information, let me know.

Waimea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
93 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Saipan for a day

Great idea. Where does the ferry depart from relative to the cruise port? I'm assuming we probably anchor out and tender in?

Saipan, CNMI
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Saipan for a day

I think that one of the ferries that go out to Mañagaha departs from the same cruise port... I'm not too sure though... There are two ferry services that go to Mañagaha, one of them is next to American Memorial Park (another good place to visit when you're here), and I think the second one is at Charlie Dock (the cruise port). I am not too sure about the second one, so when you get here, if you ask around, they should be able to lead you to the dock that the ferry departs from.

Get answers to your questions about Saipan