We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating...to Saipan

Eugene, Oregon
10 posts
Save Topic
Relocating...to Saipan

HI,

I am having some trouble finding some info about Saipan and would appreciate your help.

The first: how do I find a rental ? I have been told to just come with family and in 2-3 days I will find one. I have looked online and only found a couple- with no info or pics and gotten no real help from the website/property manager.

The second is my dog---I have a lab who I need to bring. I see that the quarantine is 60 days quarantined- then 60 (hopefully) in a home quarantine. I have also been told that it may be possible to get the home quarantine sooner. Do you have any ideas? the emails to the on -island vet and quarantine center come back as undeliverable. Verizon says it will cost me 70 cents a minute to call.

The third thing_ cell phones? Are there no cell phones? Verizon says no.

The fourth- I watched a video on the prices at the Costco and it seemed things are so expensive (16 dollar pizza rolls- 12 dollar butter) that it is cheaper to ship some things to myself. SHould I ship pots and pans and linens, etc or buy them? I can not find a single retailer that says they sell em and I hope to avoid spending very much.

Thank you for the help- whatever info you can offer will help!

saipan
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating...to Saipan

hafa adai. first of all, i think you should first find a job before you get there. if you've done that already, moving on. Try looking up marianas visitors bureau on-line. I don't know if they have a website but that might help you, i hope. get as much phone numbers as you can off of that website and inquire what you might need upon arrival or before. But yea, try marianas visitors bureau and just let them know of your situation, get some info from them, and if it helps, let them know that saipanboy gave some pointers:) hope all goes well. Good Luck bradah

Eugene, Oregon
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating...to Saipan

Hi,

Thanks. I have checked into many sites already. I was hoping some individuals would let me know if there are retail stores selling household goods (pots, pans, linens) and how much they are. Institutions supporting travel all say prices are "comparable if you consider shipping". What does this mean?

And I would also like someone with personal experience to let me know how safe, clean, etc. the quarantine center is. All contacts with institutions simply say that it is staffed by a "qualified vet". I am hoping for some personal experience.

Thank you for your reply however.

Anaheim, California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating...to Saipan

Lol, I saw that same video about the jacked up Costco...

I hope you don't need fast internet because from what I've discovered is that the fastest connection on Saipan is 128k , which is ONE MEGABIT, totally blows...

You might want to check out the thread about the wait time to get a mailbox, for some reason it takes like a month or something, according to the post.

Also, Tinian and Rota have no "high speed internet" from what I found out.

For rentals call these guys..

marianasliving.com/saipan-rentals/apartments…

They have 2br 1 ba on there for $500! Insanely cheap, but I wonder what it's like? I called them with google.com/voice for 4 cents a minute, they seemed to be very nice..

Please let us know what it's like over there, I used to live in Portland Oregon so it will be cool to know what an Oregonian thinks of Saipan.

Right now I'm in southern California waiting for those guys to install a faster internet service.

Saipan, Mariana...
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating...to Saipan

Hi! We are possibly moving soon (this summer).. also with dogs! I would love to chat about what you found out and I can tell you what I have found out.

my email is ewingerin@yahoo.com

Thanks!

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating...to Saipan

Insolidarity,

I sent two cats through the quarantine program about 3 years ago. The center is safe and clean and staffed by very friendly people. There are two vets on the island; one in private practice (Dr. Tudor) and a government vet. The gov vet (Dr. dela cruz) oversees the quarantine. If you have anymore specific questions, please im me and I will give you my personal email.

Household goods and groceries are expensive out here. That reflects the fact that everything has to be either flown in ($$$) or sent by container (takes months). So consumer goods are pricey, while services (car wash, house cleaner) are very, very cheap.

Also check on garagesale.saipan.com for more listings. Word to the wise though, the best deals are not going to be found on the web. You will find the best stuff once you get out here - either through word of mouth or posted around at restaurants.

But if you want an apartment, check with coral gardens, flame tree terrace, vestcor apartments or Miller estates. You'd be surprised how cheap it is to rent a house though - so don't commit until you get out here and can shop around.

Edward,

I don't know where you got your misinformation about the Saipan internet. Internet speeds are available up to 2.5 Mbps. I pay for the turbo speed and can download a 800 mb movie in about 2 hours. I also don't have any problems maintaining my websites or gaming on xbox live. Check here: http://www.pticom.com/internet/adsl.cfm

If you are going to feel that inconvenienced by that, then Saipan isn't the place for you. We have things that are alot more inconvenient than that! And don't hold your breath on that faster internet - it isn't coming. The internet and cable and telephone lines are all on one huge cable that runs under the ocean from Guam to the United States. The bandwidth is already capped, so the only way internet speeds will rise will be when they lay a new cable. They just laid the last one about 6 years ago, so it will be some time before they upgrade. But it doesn't bother me that some big downloads might take a few more minutes, I just go drink my beer on the beach while I wait.

And why would you use "google voice" to call out here? Its not an international call! You can call saipan for regular state-to-state rates. To stress that point again - its not an international call! I call the states several times a day and just pay regular long distance rates.

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Relocating...to Saipan

Also, don't listen to verizon. They treat this as international for some reason. Just get a walmart calling card (or target, etc) and use it to call out here. You should get a call for about 3 cents a minute.

We do use cell phones on the island. But you can just sign up once you get out here with a local carrier. Most plans include free calling to the US.

And the quarantine is 30 days there and then 60 days at home. Anyone can get the home quarantine, you just have to do the paperwork and pay and extra fee.

Finally, don't let that costco video fool you. Costco is the most expensive store out here. There are many small local stores you can shop at for cheaper food. Local veggies, such as tomatoes or okra, are very, very cheap. You can get a hug bag of tomatoes for only a buck.

Edited: 6:30 pm, May 02, 2010
San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Relocating...to Saipan

One more thing, if you ship anything out here use USPS. They charge interstate shipping rates. UPS and FedEx charge ten times more because they see this as international.

Send me a message if you have any more questions.

Saipan, Mariana...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Relocating...to Saipan

As a San Diego native, now looking to move to Saipan from Portland, I have several questions. How is the SCUBA, biking, swimming? In SD I would just swim or dive at the Cove. Any day or time with good people enjoying & respecting the ocean and each other. The biking is a little safer here in Portland, if you don't mind the rain, what about Saipan? Road or Mountain bike? Do I need a car? Per other replies, where to stay till you find a place? Do I ship my bike or buy a new one there? What about SCUBA tanks or a kayak? I found a shipping container place, do people share and save? thanks for the info.

Saipan, Mariana...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Relocating...to Saipan

when are you looking to move? I found a container shipping company but I dont need the whole thing. From my experience in the caribbean, a sealed container is the safest way to ship.

Eugene, Oregon
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Relocating...to Saipan

Well---still no word on what to do about household goods- and it looks like the only way to find out anything about a house or car is to be there (all the ads are very vague).

I will post here about my experience with the relocation and perhaps help out others on their way.

---If anyone has a car, household goods for sale or a home to rent near Dandan -san Vicente, etc. let me know!