We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Saipan questions?

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any Saipan questions?

I'm living out in Saipan right now. If anyone has any questions about Saipan, Tinian or the CNMI just pm me or post it here.

362 replies to this topic
Ulaanbaatar...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Saipan questions?

Hafa adai. I will be spending 8 days on saipan staying at Saipan Grand Hotel. How do I find out about visiting Managaha island, taking a boat trip around the island, renting a car for the day, good beaches. I lived on the island in '74' and attended San Vicente School. From 92-97, I lived on Guam where I taught at a local middle school. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Saipan questions?

I am considering applying for a job in Saipan. My diet is very important to me, and while I am certain fresh seafood is always available, what can you tell me about fresh fruits and vegetables? Is there a movie theater in Saipan? A library?

Thanks.

Sal

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Saipan questions?

I am considering taking a job in Saipan. My diet is very important to me. I know that fresh seafood is always available. How about fresh fruits and fresh vegetables? Is there a movie theater on the island? A library with English-language books?

What about the average cost of one-bedroom furnished rentals?

Thanks.

Sal

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Saipan questions?

Fresh fruits and veggies are available out here, but certain kinds can be expensive.

The local veggies (green beans, onions, etc) are very very cheap and can be bought from farmers selling on the side of the road. They also fly quite a few in from asia (like asian pears, green onions, etc).

The rest of the stuff comes from the states. Stuff that has a long shelf life (like onions, lettuce, apples) are pretty cheap, while stuff that goes bad quicker (like oranges) can be more expensive.

The most expensive stuff are the fruits that have to be air shipped (like strawberries and blueberries).

I would recommend shopping for you fruits and veggies at "San Jose Mart", located right across the street from the Price Costco and next door to Dolphin Wholesale. They have the best and freshest selection.

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Saipan questions?

We do have a movie theater (fandango.com/hollywoodtheaterssaipanmegaplex…)

We actually get the movies released a day before the states because we are 16 hours ahead of the mainland.

We also have a library filled with English books.

As for rental prices, right now is a good time to be a renter. There are for rent signs all over the island because alot of people are moving because of the poor economic situation.

Check out "garagesale.saipan.com" to get an idea on what is available. Prices are all over the board, depending on what you want and where on the island you want to live. I know people paying 300 a month for a one bedroom and people paying 700 a month for a two bedroom. But there are deals out there, especially now. The real expense is the power - the power rate fluctuates constantly. My usual bill is 130 a month and I only use about 400 kwh a month.

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Saipan questions?

manbigus - there will be people at your hotel who can set up trips out to Managaha. Just remember to bring $5 to pay the tax when you arrive at the island.

Car rental deals will also be available through your hotel. If you want to set one up yourself, I suggest going with "Islander Rental Car". They are cheap but make sure that the car you rent has good tires. The local roads are paved with coral and can be VERY VERY slippery when the road is wet. Its easy to hydroplane if you do not have good tread.

Best beaches - try micro beach behind the Hyatt and Sugardock behind the aquarius hotel. If you are renting a car I would recommend making your first stop at the American War Memioral Museum in Garapan. They sell a GREAT atlas of Saipan in the gift shop for $8. This book has maps of all of Saipan and you can use it to find some of the cool beaches that only locals go to (like Ladder Beach, Tank Beach, etc)

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Saipan questions?

Thanks so much for your very answers. Great information. I'm especially pleased to hear of rental rates.

If my prospective boss and I agree we're a good fit, I hope you won't mind my posting more questions. I would expect the job to start early next year.

Thanks again.

San Diego
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Saipan questions?

No problem dallasal. I'll be happy to answer any more questions you have. And check out my photo blog for some Saipan pics:

www.saipansunburn.blogspot.com

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Saipan questions?

Still doing my research on Saipan. Last night read everything at a Web site called "Saipan Sucks." Holy Cow! Is any of this stuff true?

Also, watched ABC's past 20/20 videos exposing the sweat shops and sex trade. I am not a prude and, being from New Orleans, know different forms of entertainment can coexist quite nicely. (My favorite restaurant in the world is Gallatoire's, right on Bourbon Street.) Yet I would not be intrested in living in a place where the highlighted source of activity is found at the huge sex mall I see described on the Internet.

As a single middle-aged lady, I am looking for a wholesome environment with a sense of the exotic thrown in.

So, San Diego 619, any enlightenment on this issue?

As before, thanks so much.

Columbus, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Saipan questions?

I'm also interested in moving to Saipan.

I've been watching garagesale.com for apts. Can you explain how this 55-year leasing works? Do some areas still only get limited water? Do real estate agents ever answer their e-mails?

How available are boats for sale?

Thanks a lot!

Reply to: Any Saipan questions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted