We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! - Travelling to SFO/USA 1st time

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Help! - Travelling to SFO/USA 1st time

Hi All,

I need some serious help.

I will be travelling to SFO from south east asia on 13 Oct and will be landing at SFO after a 14 hours nonstop flight with my wife and our 1.5 years old toddler.

We will be flying off to Las Vegas on the 16th, and hence will have 2 days/3 nights to explore SFO.

I have been searching internet for the last few days but just couldnt zero down on a SFO hotel. Whereas I think LV and LA hotels are quite reasonable, I am finding all SFO hotels are out of my budget. I am looking for a budget hotel (around $100/night). Is it possible?

As long as there is a train station nearby (to take trains to SFO), I shall be ok.

We only wish to see the main tourist attaractions like the golden gate bridge, the Alcatraz, fisherman/s wharf, the crooked road, pier 39 etc.

Please help.

Regards

DG

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! - Travelling to SFO/USA 1st time

I realize that I am probably being foolish looking for a place for $100/night. I will obviously have to go higher if there are no options. What about extended stays? Are they good?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
135 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! - Travelling to SFO/USA 1st time

Look at Airbnb and home away . I find rentals to be much more cost effective in the sf area. If you have never rented before , read reviews carefully for details , talk or email the owner, do not rent a shared space unless you are more than confident of the owner and space. 99% of the dissatisfied Airbnb customers have rented a shared space.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,065 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! - Travelling to SFO/USA 1st time

Hi

I recommend that you check out the relevant topics in the Top Questions on the right side of this page.

- Hotels: WHERE TO STAY When Visiting San Francisco (December 2013)

- BUDGET HOTELS, Hostels, and Hotels with Parking, (Updated March 2016)

- Vacation Rentals Locations AND IMPORTANT ADVISORY about RENTALS (JUNE 2016)

October is high season, so deals will be hard to find. Note that you want to stay in SF (the city), not SFO (the airport.) They are 13 miles apart.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,195 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! - Travelling to SFO/USA 1st time

First of all just like you could stay close to Hong Kong airport that would be inconvenient to see HK unless it was the old airport

The same goes for SF. SFO is 13 miles south of SF and I think you want to see SF and not SFO

100 $ is a really really low budget for SF - well even for LA so you need to raise it. We have top questions that cover the conventions calendar , vacation rentals as well as budget hotels. Please read and see what you can find say between 150 and 200 plus tax and post those options here and we can help you choose

5. Re: Help! - Travelling to SFO/USA 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 14, 2017