We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon in sf

england
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Topic
honeymoon in sf

I am on last leg of honeymoon between 11th-14th jan. looking to make these final days special for my wife (to be). Any ideas on what to do/visit, where to eat etc and website details, booking details, cost would be most appreciated - can't wait now thanks

Manchester, england
Level Contributor
4 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon in sf

i would suggest staying in either union square or fishermans wharf although when i stayed in july 2004 fishermans wharf was very expensive however it is a very nice area. If you want to save money i can recommend the ramada mark twain in union square its right in the city centre and you only have to walk a few blocks to the shops and restarants. if you want to save money dont prebook transfers from the airport to the hotel. Theres loads of airport shuttle buses ouside the airport that will take you anywhere in the city for around $15 per person. id also recomend doing the same with trips to alcatraz.

San Francisco, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon in sf

If you're booking a hotel in SF, please be aware of the strike going on right now. Fourteen hotels have locked out 4,000 hotel workers and are refusing to negotiate with union officials and Gavin Newsom, the mayor of SF. Please don't cross the picket line! These workers have been without jobs for a month now and stand to lose their health care benefits in Dec. For more info check out the articles on www.sfgate.com. You can find out which hotels are involved. A few that are not involved in the strike (and are very good places to stay) are the Handlery Union Square and the Huntington Hotel.

england
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon in sf

Thanks for the replies folks, maybe i did not explain fully. My hotel is arranged - fishermans wharf. I was asking for any info on things to do and eat etc and where to book these trips, website addresses. Thanks

Manchester, england
Level Contributor
4 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon in sf

this is a good website http://www.sfvisitor.org/ or http://www.ci.sf.ca.us/ i would also suggest buying San Francisco (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides you can buy it of amazon for about ��10 its really worth buying it has a map of the whole city and has sections on good things to see and do as well as good guides on where to eat. for things to do you should visit alcatraz and the golden gate bridge i can suggest goin on a grey line tour of the city they are situated in fisherman wharf i think they charge about $30 for a 3 hour trip round the city well worth taking as they take you to parts of the city you wouldnt manage to visit on foot also the tour guides tell you lots of usefull information.

Austin, TX
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon in sf

I can't believe everyone elses sucky info on the best city in CA! So here's the scoop. I go back to SF, as a native, all the time and bring along newby's. Here's what I usually do. Drive or bike along the coast, PCH 1, have a cocktail or lunch at The Beach Chalet ��� 1000 Great Highway, San Francisco, CA, 94121 ��� 415-386-8439 or Cliff House 1090 Point Lobos San Francisco, CA. 94121. 415-386-3330 - if it's open yet. This is a good site for info on it and other things. theinsider.com/SF/Attractions/CliffHouse.htm

Then find your way to the Presidio, jus to drive thru the side of it and see the great views of GG bridge. I usually go thru the Seafcliff neighborhood to see how the other half live and get a glance at their gorg views of the GG bridge. You can try to find 25th street which rocks. Then, you can take a stroll on Chrissy or Baker beach, find your way to the Marina District along Lincoln Blvd?? I think. That will either lead you into Pier 39, embarcadero or the like. But I usually take a right turn, find Pacific Heights, drive around a bit and then make my way down to Union Square, hop on the Cable car at Powell and Mason and ride it close to Chinatown. I walk thru, visit some shops... then hop a few streets over to Northbeach. Visit Coit Tower, eat lunch/dinner whatever. See the Condor club, citylight booksellers, SF brewery and any other legendary place I can find while wondering the streets. To me, that's more fun than Alcatraz, Pier 39 and Ghiradelli Square which are sucky tourist traps - but if that's for you - those three you can reach by the cable car ticket you bought (by a full day) and are all next to each other. Neptunes is good food & view, it's at the end of the pier. Hard not to have a good time, biking, driving and walking around SF for a few days. There's also Haight and Ashbury streets, golden gate park, exploratorium... so many fun things to do.

Good luck w/ your wedding plans & have a great honeymoon.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,636 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon in sf

You did not mention if you will be renting a car. Many of the sights in the previous post would require a car. If you are not renting a car you will find San Francisco has good public transportation. If you get a good transit map you can get most places. On my recent trip to San Francisco I found a wonderful little Italian Restaurant called Trattoria Contadina, at the corner of Mason and Union Streets, about 6 blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. It was not too expensive, entrees around $15.00, and the food was great. This is in the North Beach Area. There are all kinds of Italian Restaurants in the area. I am sure you will have a wonderful time inSan Francisco.

england
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: honeymoon in sf

thanks for all the info folks, i will definately be trying them out. Ive heard that you need to book alcatraz beforehand, if so what ist the website where i can get tickets.

Edinburgh
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: honeymoon in sf

Look on the national Park web site for Alcatraz - they don't do the ferry tickets but they do have a link.

http://www.nps.gov/alca/index.htm

CA
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: honeymoon in sf

i did not read all of the other replies so if this is a repeat forgive me but for a fun casual breakfast in san fran eat at pergamino on columbus street. best waffles with fresh whipped cream and berries. enjoy.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: honeymoon in sf

If you are foodies coming to Foodie Mecca (which San Francisco is), you must not miss a visit to the Ferry Building Marketplace.

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/

It is simply spectacular, and you will have gone to the top of the mountain when you visit. It houses every kind of artisan foodstuffs, as well as restaurants and specialty shops. My daughter refers to it as "the mothership" for foodies.

Coit Tower is worth a visit: the murals inside were painted as part of the WPA during the Depression. The view from the top is splendid.

Also, visit City Hall, and perhaps the Asian Museum of Art across the plaza.

Enjoy your visit, and congratulations.