We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis

Port Saint Lucie...
Level Contributor
75 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis

Going to San Francisco March 9 and staying at Fairmont. Do taxis from airport to hotel take credit cards?

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,360 Reviews
from $105.00*
Best Seller
Muir Woods and Wine Country, Lunch...
1,799 Reviews
from $126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,629 Reviews
from $61.20*
$68.00
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis

Yes. All taxis in SF take credit cards.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis

It's always good form to mention it when you get in so you don't get a driver making up stories about their system being down.

But jrcDublin is correct that all taxis take credit cards.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis

I would phrase it that "all taxis are SUPPOSED to take credit cards". Generally, the major brands (Flywheel, Yellow, etc.) will generally have working credit card machines (or the drivers have Square on their phone). Some of the more random taxis (the ones with torn upholstery, lots of scrapes on the sides) will tell you their machine isn't working. Hence sfimporter's very good advice to ask the driver before you get in, "Is your credit card machine working?"

Oh, from the airport, just tell the dispatcher/attendant that you need a cab that takes credit cards.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,925 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis

What SFI and Susan said. Most of the cabs I have seen at SFO are pretty new with the card reader. But I was in Newark NJ (hate that airport) and hopped into one without checking. The machine was broken in a beat up cab. Luckily I had enough cash.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,130 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis

there are other options from SFO to Nob Hill -- do look at the top question on all the alternatives including uber lyft and wingz

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis

>>But I was in Newark NJ (hate that airport) and hopped into one without checking. The machine was broken in a beat up cab. Luckily I had enough cash.<<

I've had the same thing happen here in SF a couple of times -- one time, when the driver said the machine was broken, I said, "That's unfortunate, because I don't have any cash." He was able to fix the machine.

Another time, the driver just hollered "no card, no card" and kicked us out of the cab. (About 15 feet from where we got in, luckily.)

Port Saint Lucie...
Level Contributor
75 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis

I want to save time by taking taxi from SF airport to Fairmont on Nob Hill. How much should I expect to pay?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis

$50-$60

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,130 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis

thanks for helping the OP jrc -- I guess some folks are too busy to read the top question which layout the options and rates for them :-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis

Also too busy to thank people for the responses already provided to the original question...