We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for the SF experts

Mad City
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for the SF experts

Have you considered getting organized and creating a sticky list regarding frequent Q and A asked on this board? Other cities have done so, for example L.A. It had been mentioned on this board, by an expert there, to email TA about it. But nothing has been done and the bashing to new arrivals here continues.

If a permanant sticky was created, the need for endless bumped posts wouldn't be needed and the newbies could be referred to the sticky. Much more user friendly.

Some of the locals seem so frustrated in answering questions. It makes me wonder why they enjoy participating on this forum. If it's not frustration that they exhibit, then it seems to be a real attitude of superiority and sarcasm. It isn't welcoming. If you spent some time creating a sticky with more in depth information such as addresses, phone numbers, websites it could be really helpful.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for the SF experts

I completely agree! I am not an official San Francisco Expert, but if it is not already started, I would be happy to work with TA to get it done. If BetterthanBings, Girasol and Mini would like to give me your emails, I will co-ordinate with everyone and TA and get the sticky notes we need.

Let me know. wtyler@chancellorhotel.com

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for the SF experts

Great suggestion Wes.

Poor Saks will become known as the San Francisco Forum Bump Queen if she has to bump that post up much more !

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for the SF experts

LOL I emailed that post to Wes as soon as I saw this post! : ) Hopefully people aren't sick of me yet!

Mad City
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for the SF experts

Thanks for being so cooperative and enthusiastic all of you!! I know Yogachik and Hop skip Jump from the L.A. forum have created this permanant sticky and it seems to work well over there. It seemed to be suggested the actual experts have to email TA, but whatever you all can come up with would be super!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,867 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for the SF experts

I have created stickies for the Forum where I am a Local Expert (fort Lauderdale) in the past, and planned to create one with information about Super Bowl and the lodging shortage, since we get many Europeans in our town who have no idea how expensive and/or impossible to find hotels will be around that time.

You have to get TA to post the sticky and when I contacted them , they responded that they no longer do stickies at all, but want you to put the info on an "inside Page" instead. I tried that and have to say that does not place it where anyone will see it prominently and it has not served the purpose. Instead I created a regular post and have to keep "bumping it up" Everytime I do someone responds by commenting that this info was vital to them- like the poor guy from South America who made airline reservations and bought tickets to a rock concert here and couldn't understand why he couldn't find a hotel find closer than an hour's drive away ( and rental cars are triple their normal cost.)

So, before you go to the trouble of creating it , contact TA Forum Support to see if they will post it- I hope I'm wrong and that they have changed the policy. They seem to be enamored of their "Inside Page" feature , but I don't see it being very useful- at least not when compared to a sticky.

I just didn't want you guys to do all the work for nothing!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for the SF experts

Thanks, LuluToo. I had a feeling that the stickies were something that were in transition.

The problem is the damn Inside Page is not an obvious feature for newcomers to see. Even when you try to direct someone to it, it's not navigable as "Inside Page," and requires us to direct people by describing it in a most unwieldy fashion. Plus, the Inside Pages are getting junked up by indiscriminate posts (ah wikis -- love 'em, hate 'em) promoting businesses and tours, and it's just not adequately patrolled.

7. Re: Suggestions for the SF experts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:41 pm, November 13, 2006
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,867 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for the SF experts

BetterThan Bings-

I'm really relieved to find another person who also finds the Inside Pages pretty useless! I looked at a few on my Forum and started trying to use the edit function to correct obvious errors in some of them ( directions that were really wrong, admission prices that were outdated and the like) and finally decided that if TA didn't care to exercise any quality control, I wasn't going to start obsessing over it!

I think in the beginning TA offered some sort of incentive ( entering in a drawing perhaps if I recall) to get folks to compose these things and some people obviously just slapped some stuff together in some cases. I know they kept e-mailing me prodding me to compose some , but when I looked at what was there, I really didn't want to do it.

I really wish they would continue to post stickies- our Water Taxi service seriously curtailed their services some time ago and all the guidebooks in print then had routes and frequencies that were no longer, so I did at that time get to post a stickie with updated information, but that was the last time.

I have to chuckle though when I see the poster that keeps bumping up his post on how to search before posting- I've seen a similar post on both the Key West and Paris Forums and no one pays attention to them either-everyone seems to want a response they think is custom tailored for them. The best example of this I've seen was on the Paris Forum wher esomeone posted a query that went "I've read the reviews ( 17 of them) on Hotel X and they seem excellent ( they were -it was in the top 10 hotels), but what I want to know is , are they really true? "

I got a real laugh out of that one and I'm afraid poor Sean is detsined to bump this up till he's blue in the face! I have become resigned to either continually telling folks how to get from MIami Airport to the Cruiseport or just not to respond and let someone else do it!

But, I will keep bumping my "Don't try to travel to South Florida on SuperBowl Weekend unless you have to." post becaue it's the only way TA has given me to get the word out- and I'm afraid some folks will be sleeping in their car the night before their cruise ( which of course are highly discounted for that weekend, so the Europeans and Canadians think they should come then.)

Mad City
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for the SF experts

BetterthanBings and LuLutoo, you have hit the nail on the head. Actually finding the inside pages is a feat in itself and even when you do get to it, the info just isn't that in depth.

I think LuLu is correct that a huge majority will just ask away and not pay attention to bumped posts. I know when I first found the forum here I spent tons of time just reading previous posts, but that doesn't seem to be the norm.

I guess TA thinks the inside pages is a good resource but the permanant sticky is really more user friendly and newbies would access it much more than the inside pages. I suppose it is more work for them to maintain a sticky??

I don't understand why SF can't have one if L.A. does.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for the SF experts

Wes is busy inquiring about the sticky now, so we'll see how they respond.