We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motel Advice in SF

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Motel Advice in SF

Hi, Hubby and I are going to SF next month for a 5 day get away. I am looking for a reasonable prices and nice place to stay. We will be on foot so would like something close to Fishermans Wharf hopefully? I have been looking at Cow Hollow Inn and Columbus Motor Inn. Has anyone stayed there or whats the location like? or are there any other suggestions? Appreciate any advice! Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motel Advice in SF

the cow hollow and columbus inns are highly recommended on this forum . You can use read all the reviews by searching for each hotel from the search box. Those are the most recent reviews from folks who have stayed there. Both are in perfect areas to get around the city. There is a lot of info in the top questions on where to stay on a budget. There is info on how to get around SF using MUNI

The CMI is between FW and North Beach closer to North Beach with plenty of restaurants and bars and the CHI is in the Cow Hollow area close to the Marina and to Union STREET again with a lot of places to eat. Both are on popular streets Columbus and Lombard. Lombard is a busy route

Do read the top questions and reviews

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,143 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motel Advice in SF

Hi,

We have stayed in San Francisco many times and in many different locations.

I am wondering why you keep saying that since you are on foot you want to be close to the wharf? San Francisco has wonderful public transit and is a "walking city" if you bypass the hills so that is not the only location that would be convenient.

IF you tell folks your budget for lodging they may very well have other ideas for you.

Have you read the reviews for the hotels you are considering?

Have you looked on the right side of this page where under Top Questions there's one that discusses Hotels,/Where to stay and another that discusses Budget Hotels.

IF you have an idea of your itinerary then posting that may also help folks suggest convenient spots for you to stay.

There's nothing wrong with the motels you are considering but I am sure there are also others you could choose since you don't need free parking.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motel Advice in SF

For a five day stay I would not recommend the Wharf area. Of course, you will want to visit but it's an uber touristy area with only a few things to really recommend (the Maritime Museum at Hyde Street Pier with some cool ships to see and possibly board), Musee Mecanique and the sea lions at Pier 39 (if they've returned). After that the place is a junkyard of tacky souvenir shops, overpriced and underwhelming restaurants and eerily odd street entertainment.

For a 5 day stay you will want to be on good transit lines. While SF is not large geographically there are some great things to see in Golden Gate Park and out at Land's End, and Alamo Square and the Mission Murals are a big draw as well. All of these require bus transfers if staying at the Wharf.

This thread has a listing of budget hotels in the downtown Union Square area. Union Square is just a couple of blocks from Market Street, which can be considered the transit spine of the city. Dozens of bus lines are within walking distance, getting you to almost every sight I can think of without a transfer.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k628810…

If you prefer not to be downtown then I think the Cow Hollow is on better transit and within walking distance of much better restaurants than the Wharf. The Cow Hollow has two other sister properties within a couple of blocks of it: The Coventry and the Chelsea.

However, if this is for next month (like a couple of week's from now), then I would suggest making a reservation SOMEWHERE right away. Prices aren't going to go down and you need to lock something in. If you want to keep looking and make a change you'll still be able to do so.

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motel Advice in SF

My wife and I stayed in San Francisco for a week. We stayed at the Lombard Plaza motel. Looks pretty rough on the outside but the rooms are recently renovated. We both found it very nice inside and it was maybe a 20 minute walk to the Wharf

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Motel Advice in SF

Was in SF in May Nd also wanted to stay near Fishermans Wharf. We booked at The Holiday Inn. We taxied from airport about 11 pm and got dropped off and entered to book in. To our dismay we were staying at their "second site" which was around the corner. We had to cart our luggage outside, walk in the soft rain,howling wind up the road, around the corner, cross over and try to find the entrance. Not what you wNt after a 13 hour flight. There was a Dennys restaurant in our building.

However, despite this beginning we really liked the hotel and it's close proximity to the wharf, train and cable lines and drop off stops to hop on and off buses. We liked the quirkiness of some of the shops, restaurants, and people. The staff at this site were amazing

Again because of the divided sites of this hotel we did not get to enjoy the advertised benefits of the pool or gym.

Good luck

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,720 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Motel Advice in SF

I think for first time visitors, Columbus Motor Inn is slightly better as it is in a "classic" SF neighborhood with Coit Tower and Lombard St nearby. But the Cow Hollow Inn is only at best 15-20 minutes by bus to FW and North Beach. I stayed at Cow Hollow Inn (CMI was higher on my list but was sold out) last month showing a friend around and enjoyed my stay. I should probably write a review... Ask for a 3rd floor room on Steiner. We were in 301 and had a view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

7. Re: Motel Advice in SF

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 29, 2015