We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Gate Bridge

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golden Gate Bridge

Today, in 1869, Joshua Norton, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico, commanded that a bridge be built to span the Golden Gate.

On May 23, 1923, the Golden Gate Bridge Highway District Act of California was passed.

On January 5, 1933, construction of the Golden Gate Bridge began in Marin County.

On February 26, 1933, ground was ceremoniously broken for construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

On November 18, 1936, the Golden Gate Bridge's main span was joined.

On May 27, 1937, at 06:00, the Golden Gate Bridge was dedicated and open to pedestrian traffic. The next day, at Noon, Franklin Delano Roosevelt pressed a telegraph key in the White House signaling the opening of The Bridge to motor vehicles.

On July 1, 1971, the Golden Gate Bridge bonds were retired. The promise to terminate the taking of tolls was broken.

On February 22, 1985, the billionth vehicle crossed The Bridge.

On May 27, 1987, the towers of The Bridge were illuminated.

Although Joseph B. Strauss has taken, and been given, credit for building The Bridge, Charles Ellis and Leon Moisseiff are the “technical and theoretical brains behind the design of The Bridge” — Historical Review Committee of the American Society of Civil Engineers

Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Gate Bridge

Beautiful Swingcha. Thanks for the info.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Gate Bridge

"Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco" which has no linguistic or other warrent, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor"

Emperor Norton.

In 1869 as well as calling for the Golden Gate bridge to be built he also abolished the Democrats and Republicans.

Now here is a man with vision_____who said he was crazy !

I must have a beer at Nortons Vault next time I'm in town.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Gate Bridge

«Beautiful Swingcha. Thanks for the info.»

Thank you, drummerliz. It sat so long without comment that I thought everyone didn't look at it.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Gate Bridge

SwingCha,

Regarding your last comment.

It's a pity that TA do not show the number of people that actually view a post.

On another Forum I follow , they show those numbers and often a post may only have 3 replies but as many as 2000 viewings.

I would hope and I expect that many have viewed this post but just have not replied.

Upstate S.C.
Level Contributor
343 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Gate Bridge

Guilty! I read the posting without responding.

The most important date to me was November 1984. That's when I first saw this magnificant structure!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Gate Bridge

Oskar said «On another Forum I follow , they show [how many have looked at a post] . . . often a post may only have 3 replies but as many as 2000 viewings.

«I would hope and I expect that many have viewed this post but just have not replied.»

Sounds like the good ol' BBS days.

On the 'Net, it's said that for each respondent there are ten non-responding lurkers. I have yet to hear what's said about the WEB 2000:3 sounds a bit much for an average.

Thank you for the comforting words. We throws stuff out there'n 'gits what we get.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Gate Bridge

The following has been appended:

On August 22, 1949, Charles Ellis, true engineer of the Golden Gate Bridge, died. It is believed that he never saw the completed project.

Posted on: 10:04 pm, August 18, 2006.

Today, in 1869, Joshua Norton, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico, commanded that a bridge be built to span the Golden Gate.

On May 23, 1923, the Golden Gate Bridge Highway District Act of

California was passed.

On January 5, 1933, construction of the Golden Gate Bridge began in Marin County.

On February 26, 1933, ground was ceremoniously broken for construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

On November 18, 1936, the Golden Gate Bridge's main span was joined.

On May 27, 1937, at 06:00, the Golden Gate Bridge was dedicated and open to pedestrian traffic. The next day, at Noon, Franklin Delano Roosevelt pressed a telegraph key in the White House signaling the opening of The Bridge to motor vehicles.

On July 1, 1971, the Golden Gate Bridge bonds were retired. The promise to terminate the taking of tolls was broken.

On February 22, 1985, the billionth vehicle crossed The Bridge.

On May 27, 1987, the towers of The Bridge were illuminated.

Although Joseph B. Strauss has taken, and been given, credit for building The Bridge, Charles Ellis and Leon Moisseiff are the “technical and theoretical brains behind the design of The Bridge” — Historical Review Committee of the American Society of Civil Engineers

On August 22, 1949, Charles Ellis, true engineer of the Golden Gate Bridge, died. It is believed that he never saw the completed project.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Gate Bridge

Swingcha,

As an East Coast guy with an affinity for your city and especially your Golden Gate Bridge, I found your post very informative. What's more intriguing is your avitar. A fascinating scene; it almost appears that --horrors!--the bridge is burning. Was this your intent for shock value or simply the result of minimizing a digital picture? Nevertheless, a wonderful photo.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Gate Bridge

Healey04 «I found your post very informative.»

Thank you.

« What's more intriguing is your avitar. A fascinating scene; it almost appears that --horrors!--the bridge is burning. Was this your intent for shock value or simply the result of minimizing a digital picture?»

It was taken June 5, 2005. I never thought to describe as you have. My only intent was to make my posts easy to identify. Maybe I should reduce the red a bit.

«Nevertheless, a wonderful photo.»

Thank you. I've taken many over the decades, only a few of which I like. That one was chosen, in part, because of the size it would be here. A recent shot of the Bay Bridge might appear here. Well, I have to reshoot it but but I know what I want. Have to wait for the right weather and all, y'know.

10. Re: Golden Gate Bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 16, 2009