We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

MINNEPOLIS
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay

I will be staying in San Francisco for one night after visiting Sonoma Valley. I need advice on what area to stay in, I have a car and would like to visit Fisherman's Wharf for sure and probably Chinatown. Thank you.

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,360 Reviews
from $105.00*
Best Seller
Muir Woods and Wine Country, Lunch...
1,796 Reviews
from $126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,628 Reviews
from $61.20*
$68.00
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,102 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay

Hotels: Where to Stay When Visiting San Francisco (December 2013)

Budget Hotels, Hostels, and Hotels with Parking, (Updated May 2014)

top questions right side of this forum page or via the second sticky on the sf forum. please read and let us know if you have any questions

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay

If there is a way to get rid of the car then do so. You won't need it for sightseeing in the city and it will either cost a lot to park it or limit your accommodation selections.

Check our Top Questions for info on the popular areas to stay (Wharf, Union Square, Embarcadero). However, all three have high parking rates. If you are stuck with the car then check the Columbus Motor Inn (fringe of the Wharf), Cow Hollow, Chelsea, Coventry (last three are Marina area).

Who are you traveling with? Kids?

MINNEPOLIS
Level Contributor
178 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay

I am traveling with my husband. We could drop off the car at the airport when we get back from Sonoma, but then what is the best way to get from the airport to fisherman's wharf area?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay

Why not check to see if you can drop your car in town. Most, if not all, the usual car rental agencies have multiple locations in the city, including Union Square and the Wharf.

Are you sure the Wharf is where you want to stay? Visitors will want to go but usually an hour or two is more than enough. It's an uber touristy area which schlocky tourist gee-gaw shops and what passes for "street entertainment."

Did you have a chance to read through the Top Questions? SF is relatively small geographically but Union Square is a lot more central for sights an transit. For example from the airport you can take BART and be walking distance from Union Square. But to get to the Wharf will require a cab or bus from BART.

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay

Hi Guys,

We have planned to visit SF for 12 days, we would like to cover Chinatown, Davenport, googleplex, gold panning, redwood and Monterey.

Itineraries and where to stay please. We were thinking to walk for the first few days then rent a car for the rest.

Please help!

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay

Sorry wrong forum will post it again!

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,838 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay

I'd stay in Union Square or The Embarcadero and not worry about parking that is $50, it just is what it is. If you were there for 4 days, that would be different, but figure what it would cost to get to the airport the next day and the $50 isn't unreasonable.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,167 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best area to stay

Columbus Motor Inn or Pacific Royal Motor Inn are the first places I would look.

Edited: 12:35 am, June 14, 2014
9. Re: Best area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 16, 2015