We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

We are planning to fly in to SFO in the afternoon to catch the Zephyr the next morning. I presume it will be best to spend the night near the station. My MIL is 83 and walks with a cane and isn't the steadiest on her feet. What are my best options to get there? Are the BART trains and the stations very accessible (i.e.elevators)? If we opt for a taxi what would we expect the fare to be?

We would probably be arriving late afternoon/early evening on Labor day so I am not sure what the traffic would be in that direction....

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,998 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

Bart does have elevators and they work most of the time. Cabs or a shuttle would be the other option I would think a cab would be in the 80 dollar range

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

Thanks DE! The most recent forum posts last year suggest taking the BART to McArthur and then there is a free shuttle or we could opt for a taxi. Is this currently the best route?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

For BART, the good news it is a direct Pittsburg / Bay Point train to McArthur Station from SFO. Then she would have to take the elevator down and walk around the corner to the Emerygoround shuttle to the AMTRAK station (because of construction). http://www.emerygoround.com/schedule-maps. There's a taxi stand at the station though I haven't taken one myself. http://www.bart.gov/stations/mcar/map

You will need to check the holiday schedules to make sure you're not left waiting.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,998 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

I would take a cab from the station instead of waiting for a shuttle with bags

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

I would also suggest you book wheelchair assistance from your airline at SFO, which will preserve energy for the BART trip. Have her take a seat near the BART train door so getting out won't take long.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

Spend the night in Emeryville vs. San Francisco?? I'd take a taxi (or BART, if the price is more important than convenience and her comfort) to a hotel in downtown San Francisco, near the Embarcadero (e.g., Hyatt Regency), then the next morning take a taxi (unless the hotel has a shuttle) to the nearby Amtrak station at the SF Ferry Building, and take the Amtrak bus to the train in Emeryville. Amtrak schedule has the schedules. Everything booked together. We did it and it was easy.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,185 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

Whether you decide on staying in Emeryville or in San Francisco, unless you have a very small amount of luggage I'd take taxis instead of train/bus,especially with an 83year old who is unsteady on her feet!!

I might opt for the taxi even if luggage is not an issue.

At 83 I hope I have earned some comfort!

Edited: 12:17 pm, June 07, 2014
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

Whatever you end up doing, I'd probably avoid the Emery-go-round shuttle with an 83-year-old who walks with a cane. Not that there is anything particularly wrong with the shuttle, but it involves either a big step up, or I believe they have a wheelchair lift out the back door (it's basically an extra large van/small bus type vehicle). Plus you may have to wait a while and there are various shuttle routes that go to or loop around different areas and need to be sure you get on the right one.

For someone adventurous and young, it's not a big deal, but I can't imagine doing it with my own 70-something-year-old mother-in-law. If you do end up taking BART to MacArthur, just get a taxi--it's only a mile or two to the Emeryville area near the station and I don't think it would be more than $10 to $20 at most for the taxi.

But as others have said, if you book a ticket through from San Francisco then Amtrak will put you on one of their own buses from San Francisco and drop you at the station where the train departs. I'm guessing their buses are accessible, though I haven't take one, so don't have firsthand knowledge. I suppose you could check with Amtrak or maybe someone else on the forum knows.

Taking BART might make sense for someone going directly from an airport to the train, but if you're already staying in San Francisco then a ticket booked from San Francisco is easiest of all since it leaves it up to Amtrak to bus you to your train.

If you still want to go over there and stay in Emeryville the last night then just take the taxi from the BART station.

Edited: 1:30 pm, June 07, 2014
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,712 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

Taxi all the way, from SFO to hotel, from hotel to train. Taking any other form of transport requires a certain amount of walking, stairs, elevators, transfers. What? To save how much money?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SFO to Emeryville with elderly MIL

Amtrak has a bus that picks up at different stops in SF, The Ferry Building, Financial Center, Moscone Center, Cal Train, SF Shopping Center, Civic Center and Fisherman's Wharf, one might suit you, the price would be included in your ticket, go to the Amtrak website put in San Francisco as you choice and you will see your options, then you can decide on a hotel close to the stop. You could take a taxi to one of the pickup points in SF and save the taxi fare to Emeryville, or having to deal with BART.