We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese restaurant...

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese restaurant...

I am sure that this request has been gone over many times but I am totally unfamiliar

with the restaurants in Chinatown, so I have to ask. I'm afraid I'm not too overly adventurous.

These have been suggested to me: Alice's, Yee's, Hunan Home, Great Eastern, Eric's

and Snow Garden! I am definitely open for any other suggestions.

We will be there at lunch time.

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese restaurant...

I see that Alice's and Eric's are not in Chinatown. We will be walking from our hotel,so I need suggestions

for Chinatown.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,245 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese restaurant...

Which hotel you are staying in?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese restaurant...

We had a wonderful meal at Great Eastern in Chinatown. Lots of options from typical fare to some out of the ordinary dishes (well out of the ordinary for me, lol). I had egg rolls and chicken and corn cream soup and my husband (more adventurous) had seafood combination with bean curd in clay pot. Service was good and food was excellent. Next visit we will go for more "unique" fare!

Also R&G, Z&Y are in Chinatown with good reviews and are on our list for next visit.

This article may help tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c196645/San-Fr…

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese restaurant...

I too will put in a plug for R&G, it's one of my favorites (anywhere), IS my wife's favorite, and is generally well regarded on this forum (by regulars, locals, ex-locals & visitors).

99% sure the Top Questions have a topic on Chinese restaurants; it's worth checking it (and all the TQs) out.

hlo

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,408 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese restaurant...

Of your list Hunan's Home is spicy/sweet so if you are into Mainstream American Chinese, it may not work. Try Great Eastern or House of Nanking

Yes do read the TOP QUESTION. Why do people ignore it I wonder ?

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinese restaurant...

Thanks to all for your suggestions. We have eaten at R & G on a previous trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Don't assume that Top Questions are not read! It is always good to hear current personal experiences,

which often tells things that are not covered in the TQ.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,408 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinese restaurant...

Current Personal experiences are in the reviews of those restaurants here on Trip Advisor and on yelp.com among other sites. I don't think anyone who posted here ate at those restaurants this year - I certainly did not. But I will be happy to be corrected by HLO and CasaAzul :-)

The TQs are the collective input of multiple locals and visitors to SF and not necessarily one person's opinion.

Edited: 9:48 pm, May 11, 2014
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinese restaurant...

TA is my not by go-to place for restaurant info. Even the review section is pretty useless.

Yelp, UrbanSpoon or Chowhound will have many, many more recent reviews. Any many more from local diners as well. TA restaurant reviews skew to the traveler who, I am afraid to say, isn't necessarily the most adventurous of diners.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinese restaurant...

We ate at Great Eastern December 2012, so not in the past year.

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinese restaurant...

It seems that every time I ask a question for information on Trip Advisor, I feel that I am criticized for

my question. Not only on the San Francisco forum but others as well. I do not get to travel very often

and I am in need of good honest information. However, I don't think I'll be asking on TA any time soon.