We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

Hi,

Is anyone travelling over to San Francisco from Manchester airport within next 24/48 hours?

My 16 yr old is on a 6 day school trip staying in Soma district & forgotten contact lenses with sealed solution at home in Macclesfield, can anyone help us to get them over to him!

California
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

Don't panic -- there is an easy way to handle this situation:

Have your son's eye care professional in the UK contact an eye care professional in the San Francisco area with the prescription for both of the contact lenses. I think the chances are very good that the eye care professional over here in California will give your son a pair of contact lenses in the correct prescription and also give him a bottle of contact solution, and a contact lens case.

Would be a good idea to have the school sponsor (chaperone) who is with your son on the trip to help coordinate the situation on this end with the eye care professional in the San Francisco area.

I really think this will turn out just fine, and it will be handled very quickly!

Edited: 6:55 am, April 12, 2014
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,266 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

I'd send them Federal Express/DHL etc, to their hotel. Won't be cheap, but probably cheaper than seeing an optometrist here and getting a new pair.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

For about $100, maybe a bit less, you could go see an eye doctor, such as Walmart or Sears, and the doctor will give an eye exam including contact lens fitting, plus a "starter" pair of contacts. He would also get a prescription for more, but he doesn't need to have that filled.

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

Thank you for your very kind response!!

I will follow your advice, the only thing is he has a particular prescription for astigmatism so unsure if this would all be feasible but will give it a go.

Thanks for taking the time to write me I really appreciate it!

Kind regards

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

Fed Ex seems more logical. I doubt special glasses would be ready quickly (the ads such as "in about an hour" apply to regular lenses in optimum circumstances). When I've checked to get progressive lenses made, the estimates have been 1-2 weeks.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

The OP wants contacts, not glasses, and they do have contacts for astigmatism. The doctors get free samples from manufactures for fitting and to try and get the client to buy that brand, so he would walk out of the office with a pair in his eyes, no waiting.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
609 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

This has happened to me before .... Just have him locate an eye doctor in SF then have his eye doctor from home fax a prescription over and I'm certain they will allow him to purchase the contacts he needs.

8. Re: Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, April 13, 2014
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

The Walmart or Sears idea won't work because there are none in San Francisco.

So looking for an optician in downtown SF would be your best bet, getting the fax number, etc.

Does this come out of his allowance?

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Son on school trip to SF forgotten contact lenses!

Hi,

Thanks all of you for suggestions!

I have contacted an optician in the Soma area with his prescription but as yet not had a response.

If anyone in SF has a recommendation for an optician close by Holiday Inn it would be helpful, my son has a particular prescription as he has astigmatism!

Once again thank you for your tips from a stressed out mum of a fruitcake teenager!!!!!

Ps/ I did try FedEx / Dhl but the delivery is late tuesday & cost £85! He returns Thursday.

Xx