We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

Hi,

I'll be arriving SFO at 12.40pm and my hotel is Grand Hyatt (345 Stockton St).

There are 5 of us so I am thinking if I should reserve a private 7-seater van or go with BART.

For private transfers, any recommendation which company is better?

Go Lorries Shuttle ($75), Airport Express ($85) or any others?

If I take BART, I'll stop at Powell Station. The hotel's website says they are 4 blocks away. My concern is that I've never been there and I'm not sure how far is "4 blocks", and if it's going to be uphills. Would it be easy to take a taxi from Powell Station to the hotel?

Your recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

-Christina-

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

4 blocks isn't too far to walk (presuming you don't have any mobility issues & can manage your luggage) and you won't have to deal with any major elevation change getting to your hotel. If you want, you can use Google Maps street view to check the walk out.

But, with 5 people, I'd probably go with a non-BART option. The reason is that the BART fare will run you close to $45 which is about what cab fare will be and there's something to be said for the convenience of door-to-door service and (probably) quicker drive time.

If you want to keep the cost down, you should be able to request a van taxi from the dispatcher which should be able to handle your party/luggage (and be a little less than shuttle rates you listed). Alternatively you can reserve the shuttle (I think Lorries gets good comments on the forum) and/or you might consider a limo service. Don't think it's much more than the shuttle cost you listed and could be something special. I think Pleasant is used by one of the DEs and generally gets good comments on the forum.

Given everything you've told us I'd probably only take BART if you want the experience of riding it, but it's worth noting you can do this at a lower cost once you get into the city (among other things, the airport station carries a premium on its fare).

Hope this helps,

hlo

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

Can taxis, even the larger van types, accommodate 5 people, plus bags:

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

Thanks for the recommendations hlo & Sutter!

I'm more inclined to go with van taxi for the convenience, but would these van taxis be readily available at the airport?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,479 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

Yes, after you get your luggage, just get yourselves to where the taxis and shuttles come in and there will be a dispatcher to help you get the appropriate vehicle for your party and your luggage. I think it is the departure level, but that sounds not rational.....the SFers will come in and help us out.

California
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

There is a specified taxi line outside of baggage claim, just across the road. There is an attendant there that will be able to call for a larger vehicle for your group.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

Thanks Puter & MChiddy for the information!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

I think sutter has a good point: can a van cab handle 5 people + luggage?

Good luck.

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

We just got home from s.f..we hired pleasant limo service.they give a fixed price of 75 dollars,so you know the price isn't going to escalate like taxis , as the traffic does add time and cost.Also the service is brilliant! Friendly,polite,and proffesional.Free water bottles for you in the seat backs is welcome after the flight.Book online and just phone when get through customs .they come within minutes. We had I lorrys shuttle back to airport,and it's 15 dollars p.p. without tip.the only thing with that was that we were packed like sardines and took over double the time going around several other places .hope this is helpful

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,123 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

Yes, the van cabs at the airport can hold 5 people and a "reasonable" amount of luggage (subject to interpretation, of course!). In fact, the airport is pretty much the only location where the larger vans are found, these days.

The other option is a private shuttle (around $75, if I remember right), or pre-booked private van and driver (around $125-145, more if arriving on an international flight).

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Transfer to Hotel; Which is the best for family?

Sorry put numbers wrong way round! It's 57 dolls not 75 !