We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1.5 day itinerary - input please!

NewYork
Level Contributor
119 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
1.5 day itinerary - input please!

Our flight arrives 11 am, Sunday June 29th. I am figuring by the time we collect luggage and figure out the BART, we may be at the hotel by 1 pm. If room is not ready, we well check luggage and head out. We are heading from the east coast on a 7:45 am EST flight, so I hope we nap en route and feel refreshed. (Unlikely - I am always too excited).

We have booked the 5:55 night tour for Alcatraz. In between, is it feasible to do a walk through Chinatown and see the fortune cookie factory (this is a must for my oldest), and then head down into Fisherman's Wharf to nose around before boarding at 5:30? (Maybe cable car for one leg of the trip just to experience it?) If not, I will save Chinatown for the next day and shift something, but we don't plan to spend much time there so I was hoping to do it on the way down to FW. It's tight, but we will have four hours + in between.

Day 2

Rental car for the day - early trip out to Muir Woods (p/u car, leave 8 am)

Sausalito on the way back, have lunch there

Back to Goldengate Park/Academy of Sciences

The next morning we leave for San Diego. Any suggestions appreciated!

PS - I believe Pride Parade is this weekend - will we need to make any adjustments to our plans because of this? Thoughts?

Edited: 10:43 pm, April 07, 2014
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,408 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1.5 day itinerary - input please!

Sure your plan sounds fine but you are spending more time outside SF than in the city given how short your visit is

You can walk through Chinatown and do a quick FW tour before Alcatraz but to try the cable car with its long lines may not be practical that afternoon. The fortune factory may be a let down but please go ahead

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1.5 day itinerary - input please!

The only way to fit a cable car ride into the picture without spending a ton of time in line would be to catch the California line down to the Embarcadero and then perhaps catch the F streetcar to the Alcatraz Pier. I thought the cookie factory was interesting, but only spent a few minutes there. The alley ways were fun though. I bought a bag of cookies and consumed a handful that evening. Halfway through The pack I found a couple of chicken (?) feathers. I've kind of lost my appetite for locally made fortune cookies.

You'll love the night tour. Be sure to take a jacket.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1.5 day itinerary - input please!

The Parade kicks off at 10:30 a.m. Someone please explain the logistics of trying to take BART this day - if you take it at all. If you do, make sure you get off on the NORTH side of the station, you will never be able to cross Market Street if you exit on the south side. From SFO how do cabs get to Union Square? 1 pm may be too ambitious, if you're delayed by fog, runway construction or trapped in a sea of rainbow.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1.5 day itinerary - input please!

I think I'd take BART over trying to drive through the city that day. Where are you staying?

Rachel makes a good point. You will want to be sure you exit the BART station to the proper side of Market Street for your hotel. www.bart.gov has station maps.

You may have to play your afternoon by ear. If your flight is at all late (fact of life at SFO) you may have to jettison some afternoon plans. I don't usually recommend booking Alcatraz for the day of arrival in case of flights snafus.

NewYork
Level Contributor
119 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1.5 day itinerary - input please!

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I realize that booking it that evening was risky. Hoping for the best! I will take a look at the transit maps to plan, thank you!

Belomiser, you mentioned how much time we were spending outside of the city. Alcatraz and Muir Woods were our big must dos. If we nixed some of the other plans, what would you recommend?

Southwest
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1.5 day itinerary - input please!

If it were me planning such a short visit, I'd skip Muir Woods and Sausalito. So much to see in the city. I know it isn't the same, but there is a nice grove of smaller redwoods in the Golden Gate Park Arborium - free entry before 9am. The park alone could take a full day, especially if you walk around area neighborhoods like The Haight.

7. Re: 1.5 day itinerary - input please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:51 pm, April 09, 2014
8. Re: 1.5 day itinerary - input please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 11, 2015