We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet good quality hotel

Scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Quiet good quality hotel

Travelling all the way from Scotland and looking for good quality hotel in good location but importantly with no traffic noise - both light sleepers. Never visited before.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quiet good quality hotel

You can have good quality hotel in a good location, but in a city like San Francisco, you will have traffic noise. It's a given. About the best you can do is request a room away from the street and hope that your room does not overlook where the garbage trucks pick up at 4 AM.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quiet good quality hotel

We are going to stay at the Grand Hyatt. Good location and a very high floor, but I guess it could still be noisy!

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quiet good quality hotel

What type of hotel do you prefer___modern highrise or boutique historic smaller properties.

If you have a look at Top Questions on right of this page you will find a couple relating to areas to stay.

I'm suggesting Union Square or the Embarcadero will be best for you.

Let us know.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quiet good quality hotel

We are going to try the Harbor Court Hotel at Embarcadero but I still expect some traffic noise. We have previously stayed at Hotel Miyako now Tomo in Japantown , it is further away from everything but was very quiet overnight. The Sheraton FW is in the very touristy area and have 4 sides but we got a room both stays on North Point Street side and it wasn't too noisy.

Many people take earplugs just in case when staying in hotels

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quiet good quality hotel

I think the newer buildings have more of a hermetically sealed environment. Grand Hyatt, Marriott, Parc 55, Orchard, Orchard Garden. Then ask for a room high up and/or in the back.

Scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quiet good quality hotel

Either modern or historic - want to see SF but want to make sure we get hotel right. Will loom at your suggestion thanks!

Scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quiet good quality hotel

Marion - see you've trAvelled from Fife to SA twice before so you must like it and want to return! Just want to get it right as not been before - will check these out. Thanks

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quiet good quality hotel

Hello MalHScotland,

WD has it right if you really want QUIET.

I'm not sure of your budget but have a look at JW Marriott____Westin St Francis____Grand Hyatt and Parc 55.

These are all more modern high rise and on high floors I'm sure you will hear nothing and all are in good locations.

There are more to recommend but let us know how these look.

Scotland
Level Contributor
329 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quiet good quality hotel

Oskar - looking for good quality hotel at start of special holiday. Husband very light sleeper. Having a look at these - any other suggestions appreciated!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quiet good quality hotel

I'll throw the Nikko in as well.

I might also suggest the Donatello but you MUST get a room on the Post Street side, around the corner is a nightclub which can elevate street noise when it's closing time.

I'm not usually in favor of first time visitors staying too far away from downtown but if quiet is a big priority look at the Drisco and the Inn at the Presidio. Both are very nice properties. The Drisco is in Pacific Heights (the Gettys will be your neighbors) and it's otherwise completely a residential neighborhood, although there are shops and restaurants 7 blocks or so away. The Inn at the Presidio is in a forest like environment at what was the main Post of the Presidio -- a military post turned National Park.