We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

I have being searching http://www.sfmta.com/ and to get there we will take a #2 bus to Sutter and Steiner and then walk down Steiner and along Geary.

My concern is the trip back for me and hubbie. Do you recommend bus #38 from Geary & Webster to Beale & Mission or going into a nearby hotel (which one?) and ordering a taxi back or pre booking a car/taxi to pick us up? Think it will be 10.30 - 11pm when the concert ends.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

If you like the Harbor Court for other things you'll do on vacation then I don't see a reason to move hotels for something closer to The Fillmore.

From that spot, I'd probably just take the #38 Geary bus back or a taxi. I know the #38 diverts off Market Street to the transbay terminal before you get all the way to the Harbor Court at Embarcadero. From there it's only a few blocks and walkable. Most of the really major lines like the #38 bus will run until midnight, though the frequency is less at that time of night, perhaps.

There are parts of that neighborhood where I wouldn't go wandering down empty streets at that time of night (as I recall some public housing projects just off Geary a blocks west or so, but I can't remember exactly where). I'd suspect there will be many people around after a show lets out and at the bus stop. You won't exactly be alone--with street smarts (attention) you're likely to be fine to get on the bus and get back to your hotel.

Having said that, there are a number of hotels in that area (Japantown) and if the concert is the main activity for your trip then they are convenient and often less expensive than the downtown hotels. However, I suspect the harbor court will be a better location for other activities you have planned (besides this one) and it's proximity to transit and its possible bay views will probably be nicer.

Have a good trip and enjoy the show.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

This is our fourth time in SF and the concert is the first night of five so we dont want to change hotel. We have booked a Bay Bridge view room to see the lights. We stayed at Hotel Miyako in 2003 with coach tour which is now the Tomo so know Japantown.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

What about getting the #3 back from Sutter & Fillmore back to Sutter & Sansome and then getting an F line trolley along Market to Steuart St

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

You should be able to take any bus running that time of night near there to Market street and you can take the F-line streetcar to the Harbor Court from Market Street. The underground metro stops on Market Street will also get you to Embarcadero Station which is a block or two further from the Harbor Court than the F, but will probably be faster since they have fewer stops and less rigmarole with boarding and slow surface traffic to deal with. Any inbound train from the market street subway will get you to embarcadero station.

Any of these routings should get you to Market Street:

#38 Geary bus east from Fillmore & Geary --> maybe get off at 2nd & Market if you want to catch a vehicle on Market Street the rest of the way.

#3 bus east --> get off at Market

#22 bus south -> get off at Market & Church

I would personally probably choose the #38 Geary bus since it's a major line and the schedule says they come every 8 minutes.

However the #3 bus runs until about 11:25 PM but it only comes every 30 minutes at the late end of the night.

The #22 bus comes sort of frequently that time of night (sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes a couple of minutes between on the schedule). The #22 is the least direct route since it takes you south and then you have to go northeast along market street quite a ways from church street, but it would also get you home and could be reasonably quick if you took the subway from there (rather than the F-line).

You can plan trips with Google Maps, with 511.org, or you can get a full map at the SFMTA (Muni) site ( http://www.sfmta.com/maps/muni-system-map ). There is also a page that shows the schedules. sfmta.com/getting-around/transit/routes-stops

I wouldn't ever count on a Muni schedule being correct since the buses are most always off schedule, but the schedules do give you an idea of the frequency of different lines. It will be a cold day in hell when Muni buses arrive anywhere on schedule, but the schedules are useful for seeing what your best chances are for catching a bus before the oceans rise from global warming while you wait. ;-)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

Also, some stops have displays with estimates when the next bus is coming. If you have a smartphone you can obtain the same information from a web site or with various apps on iOS or Android.

Edited: 7:54 pm, April 05, 2014
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

The 3-Jackson is not a very frequent line even at mid-day (it's a line the MTA would like to eliminate but it brings screams of dissent from Pacific Heights residents).

I would stick with the 38-Geary for frequency and only needing to take one line without a transfer. Late at night frequencies decline which could easily add 20 minutes to your trip waiting for that second bus.

After the show I'd make the effort to catch a cab back.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,593 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

I'd take the 38 back.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

38, as well.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

Thank you all for your replies. I am so excited to go to the legendary Fillmore. It is the Acoustic 4 A Cure concert and the lovely Pat from Train is part of the line up

Edited: 5:06 am, April 06, 2014
10. Re: Concert at Fillmore Auditorium staying at Harbor Court Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 08, 2015