We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a romantic engagement setting?

chicago, il
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ideas for a romantic engagement setting?

Hello all!

I'd like to know if I can get any ideas as to where would be a nice place for me to propose to my girlfriend during our wekeend stay in the Bay area. We plan to go to Napa, as well as Berkeley and SF. I was hoping for something nice, not too attention-hungry (as in a restaurant in front of everyone) perhaps in wine country. I am totally unfamiliar with the area, and open to any suggestions! I appreciate your assistance in helping to make this moment special!

Easton, Pa.
Level Contributor
644 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a romantic engagement setting?

I'm sure everyone will have a different view on this. Me, personally, I'd ponder over 3 different scenarios. I'm assuming you will have a rental car from the sounds of your travel plans.

1. Cliff House at sunset, maybe have a cocktail or two in the bar waiting for the sun to position itself right over Seal Rock.

2. Marin Headlands, looking out over the Golden Gate Bridge as the fog rolls in.

3. Top of the Mark for cocktails at sunset and some incredible views of S.F. at night.

Me, I proposed high atop a cliff looking out over the sea in Ireland at sunset.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a romantic engagement setting?

I like the idea of the Marin Headlands, especially if you want it to be a more private event. My son used this locale to propose to his lady, and she was thrilled. It has great views of the GG Bridge and the city, along Conzelman Rd.

virtualguidebooks.com/NorthCalif/MarinNorthB…

Maybe a bottle of wine from the wine country? Don't forget glasses and a corkscrew!

You might run this query on the Napa and/or Sonoma forum as well for more local ideas.

I'm sure location is secondary to the significance of the moment. Good luck!

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a romantic engagement setting?

Wow. Only a weekend stay and you're going to Napa, Berkeley and SF? When will you sleep? Or where, for that matter?

Some other ideas if in SF for more than a minute: Take a long walk through Crissy Field to Land's End. Find a bench facing the GG Bridge and the water right at your feet. Sit quietly and pop the question.

There are plenty of pretty places you may find in your travel through Napa where it just might feel like the right place.

As for Berkeley, if you go up by the Lawrence Hall of Science, you'll find some breathtaking views, too.

4. Re: Ideas for a romantic engagement setting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 15, 2009