We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging outside of city limits

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hawaii
Level Contributor
224 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging outside of city limits

Okay, it seems difficult to find lodging for under $150 a night with parking in the city. Looking at staying outside of city limits to keep within my budget. Any suggestions as to where the best places may be? Looking for someplace that'll have free parking, possible free breakfast and close to public transportation into the city.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,754 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging outside of city limits

Don't do it. Did you read the Top Question on the right of your screen (if not on a mobile device) "Budget Hotels, Hostels, and Hotels with Parking, (Updated February 2014)".

There are hotels with free parking in the Lombard Street area. Under $150 is another question. San Francisco is not an inexpensive city for lodging, and free breakfast is not common in California.

You may just have to up your budget, but try to stay in the city, or you might regret it.

Read this Top Question....."Hotels: Where to Stay When Visiting San Francisco (December 2013)"

Good luck.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,683 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging outside of city limits

Hi,

IF the Lombard St. Motels that have free parking, don't work for you then maybe drop your car off and stay without one in the city since you don't need it there. Then pick up the car again when you leave. The experience of staying in San Francisco, so that you can relax in your hotel if you get tired and then go out again at night, is one you will miss if you try to stay outside the city.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,058 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging outside of city limits

In addition to the Lombard motels, look at the Geary Parkway Motel as well. I am seeing availability mid June with double beds rooms for $140 before tax. It's in a safe neighborhood and reasonable accessible to main tourist sites but slightly further than Lombard. We have put out of town visitors there often as we have family in the neighborhood.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging outside of city limits

If I had to stay outside the city to visit San Francisco, I'd choose something near a Bart station (walkable distance and an OK neighborhood for walking). This helps avoid transit TO Bart and then transit ON Bart and two potential waits for your vehicle to arrive. With a rigamarole like that, your transit can be an hour or more just to get to your vacation every day. This trip also costs some money. Even with direct access to a Bart station, you may spend 30+ minutes from many stations to get downtown.

I agree that staying outside of San Francisco can waste time and be inconvenient so may be false economy. If you can manage to stay in the city by getting a budget place or dumping the car while in town, it's likely to be a better experience than staying out of town, even at a nice hotel with parking for free.

If you want those nearby areas out of town with direct Bart access, then downtown Oakland near 12th street station is probably where I'd look for the fastest commute in-- but afaik, no free parking there, but it may be less expensive parking than San Francisco. The couple of hotels within walking distance of the San Bruno Bart station and the Tanforan mall might be next for commute time and they're more likely to have cheap or free parking.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,058 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging outside of city limits

Excellent analysis by holodan above. I believe you have 8-10 in your group? Multiple the BART fare and you have lost your savings by staying further. Not to mention the time lost. You're only here for 3 nights. Cough up some more $ for your budget to stay in SF. You can save by eating cheaply. Don't focus on rhe free breakfast thing. I may be just pastry and coffee. You can eat cheaply all over town.

Edited: 11:08 am, March 21, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging outside of city limits

Besides the hotels along Lombard & the Geary Parkway (mentioned above, all of which would be superior to staying outside of the city for the reasons given & more), there a smattering of other hotels with free parking scattered throughout the city; mostly in the western neighborhoods. Off the top of my head there is the Seal Rock Inn is in the outer Richmond (not as good as the Geary Parkway from a transit standpoint) and then there are a few(?) south of GG Park in the Outer Sunset.

I wouldn't go as far as automatically saying *all* of them will be better than *any* hotel outside of the city, but I think many (most(?) perhaps all) of the would be. Furthermore, all of them would eliminate the BART and/or parking ("commuting") costs. As pointed out with the number of people you have in your party the daily BART fares won't be insignificant and should be added to your "SF City Hotel" budget to have a true apples-to-apples comparison. Especially true if you end up using the SFO Station which carries a premium on its fare (total would be almost $17/person/day, perhaps enough to pay for a hotel in the city all by itself!). Even the fare from Daly City to downtown will run you ~$6.50/person/day (roundtrip).

That's my $.02 on this thread,

hlo

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,554 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging outside of city limits

Is it still this group?

>>in June to accommodate our family of 7 adults and 3 kids. We will have 2 vehicles.<<

sf
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging outside of city limits

When looking at room rates remember in SF take the room rate and add 15-15.5% in occupancy taxes for your budget.

Edited: 1:33 pm, March 21, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
282 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging outside of city limits

Berkeley is good, and barring that there is usually some traffic (although one can take Bart), it's easy to find a hotel under $150 that isn't sketchy over there. It's not far from SF at all. Just avoid most of the hotels on lower University Ave. which are dives.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging outside of city limits

To hit the commuting cost (again), one-way BART fares from Berkeley run around $4 (maybe a little less, it depends on the exact Berkeley station you use), so the cost to commute will be close to $8/person/day (round-trip). Again, this will add up with the apparent size of your party and this total should be added to your budget for a hotel in SF so you're comparing apples to apples.

Again slight variation depending on the exact station, it will take around an hour a day for this commute (station to station, round-trip). Should give this at least a minimal bump for wait time (BART does run on a schedule which could make wait times minimal, but still . . . ); oer multiple days this time adds up too.

Not saying you shouldn't stay in Berkeley, just that you need to consider all the cost/benefits compared with staying in the city.

hlo