We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
south wales
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

Hi we will be staying at the orchard garden hotel just around the corner from Chinatown, we are there on a Saturday night and would like to have a Chinese meal somewhere close, any suggestions would be welcome !

Many thanks

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

I'm sorry, but do you REALLY expect your question to result in ONE "best" Chinese restaurant? ;))

Chuck.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
17,720 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

Best is very subjective...

But Great Eastern and R&G Lounge are often recommended and I have had good meals there. They do the typical Cantonese style dinners - family style with various dishes of meat and seafood.

Have you looked at the Top Questions? Are you looking for anything more specific or regional?

Edited: 11:03 pm, March 13, 2014
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

This article lists some of the Chinese restaurants mentioned by TA regulars, DEs and visitors to San Francisco. As one may notice, while there are many "Chinese" restaurants in San Francisco, one has to be more specific as most locals will choose the type of Chinese cuisine they want to eat from the various regions or perhaps based on a cooking style or the spicyness of the food.

This list is by no means exhaustive. There are many great restaurants in SF and to say that one should only choose a restaurant from this list would be unfair. Looking for a late night meal, there are some late late night Chinatown restaurants.

Please use a food website such as www.chowhound.com or www.yelp.com or www.urbanspoon.com or the SF Chronicle Food site www.sfgate.com/food to read reviews before you go. www.opentable.com has reviews and one can reserve a table at some of these restaurants.

Dimsum is usually served during lunch. Here is a primer on Dimsum Cannot decide which Dimsum restaurant ? Just pick one from the list at lunch time.

Too many choices ? Pick any of the resturants from the Chinatown list and you will have a great meal.

Chinatown

Cantonese, Seafood (R&G Lounge)

Cantonese, Dimsum with no carts (Great Eastern) - You order of a menu

Szechuan (Z & Y Restaurant, Sichuan Home) - Spicy Food and the distinctive taste with Szechuan Pepper Corns

Hunan (Hunan Homes Restaurant) - Spicy Food

Specialty (Hong Kong Clay Pot Restaurant)

Takeout Dimsum (Good Mong Kok Bakery, Golden Gate Bakery known for its Egg Custard Tarts) - Eat it soon after as Dimsum should be eaten HOT

Nanking Style (House of Nanking) - Popular with visitors

Downtown/ Financial District

Upscale Cantonese, Dimsum with Carts (Yank Sing Two locations) - Most would recommend the Rincon Center . Very Popular with locals and visitors

Cantonese, Dimsum with Carts (City View)

Upscale Chinese (MY China) - Owned by Chef Martin Yan of "Yan can cook' fame

Upscale Chinese (Hakkasan) -- International Chain with locations around the world including London

Expensive Chinese pre-fixe (Jai Yun)

Nanking (Fangs)

SF Neighborhoods

Hip Chinese (Mission Chinese) A second restaurant was opened in NYC to rave reviews

Shanghai (Shanghai Dumpling King)

Hakka (Hakka Restaurant )

Chinese with Korean Influences and famous dry chicken wings (San Tung) Close to the Golden Gate Park Museums

Cantonese, Dimsum (Hong Kong Lounge, Ton Kiang)

Takeout Dim Sum (Good Luck)

Beijing (Beijing Restaurant)

Islamic Chinese (Old Mandarin Islamic Restaurant)

Late Night Cantonese Food (D& A Cafe)

south wales
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

Hi

Thanks for the info, that's given me a great lot of ideas I can now narrow my choice down .

Many thanks

california
Level Contributor
615 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

I ate at Z & Y a couple of days ago and it was delicious!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

Asking for the best Chinese in Chinatown is like asking for the best hamburger, pizza, hot dog or BBQ. Impossible. You can walk one block down the street and have traveled 1,000 miles across China into a different dialect and type of food. And you won't even know it.

I once made it my goal to eat my way through every place in Chinatown. It took me years and years but I did it. I did pass on the boiled chicken feet and the dried lizard on a stick, but I pretty much ate anything else they put in front of me. I can honestly say I never had a bad meal in Chinatown. There is too much competition and almost all of those places have been there for decades so they know what they are doing.

You can go into even the tiniest place with only a menu in Chinese scratched on the wall and they will know what you want and will eat.

Your job is to do a search for the type of food you want and tell us, or just pick one from the recommended list if you are not adventurous for new flavors and dishes, or just follow your nose and sniff in the places until you find one you like. In any event you won't go wrong in Chinatown.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,309 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

>>In any event you won't go wrong in Chinatown.<<

This is particularly true if you stay off Grant Avenue! Locals tend to eat on the side streets and avoid any restaurant that hands out flyers to tourists on the street.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

Wonder if http://hakkasan.com/ should be added to the short list. Not a hole in the wall, and you could get it in London. But it is down the street from MY China …sfgate.com/blog/…

San Frantastic
Level Contributor
947 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

I am sort of hoping someone here can help me on this, too.

I once went to a really pretty fancy Chinese restaurant is Chinatown. I think it either had 2 floors, or was on the second floor of whatever building it was in. There were at least 2 dining rooms. My friend said, "Oh we are in the white room." What she was alluding to was not the decor, but the fact that we were in the room with a few other non-Asians. The other room was all Asians. We kind of got a kick out of this. It was just interesting.

Anyway, the food was awesome. Does anyone know what this place is called?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,955 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Chinese restaurant in Chinatown

Dang... now I have to go have Chinese food for lunch today.....