We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Choice in SF

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Choice in SF

Hi, I'm a 26 year old who will be travelling California with my girlfriend in August - we will be in San Francisco for 3 nights Aug 20-Aug 23 and I've been doing a bit of hotel research - trying to look at bargain options, and ive seen super 8 union square (£325),Edwardian hotel (£322) and Hotel Fusion (£288) - apologies for the currency for non Brits but you get the jist! Was just wondering if anyone has any comments/preferences on these hotels especially their locations - we will be mostly looking to be typical tourists so golden gate,alcatraz,maybe guided tour etc, what is the area we should be looking at as a base, union square ok? Thanks in advance for your time!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Choice in SF

Sorry you could do a conversion to US$ on Google if you want. We don't think in pounds or Euros but $ and post a per night rate in US dollars ( yes we could divide by 3 )

Did you spend just a few minutes reading the top questions - where to stay and budget hotels and there are quite a few on that list that are in Union Sq

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Choice in SF

Thanks for your reply. Doesnt matter so much about the prices because they're all in the same price range, just interested in people's views on the hotels and their locations. I'll have a look, thanks.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Choice in SF

The Super 8 at Union Square is more Tenderloin than Union Square. And I've heard some back remarks about the hotel itself on this forum. But the location alone would have me passing on it.

I'm not crazy about the location of the Edwardian either.

Check out the Metro Hotel on Divisadero.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Choice in SF

Do have a look at the TQ on Budget Hotels around Union Square. It lists ~20 hotels around Union Square that are considered safe, basic, budget hotels by myself & others. At least one of the hotels you're looking at made the cut, but not all of them (don't remember about the 3rd). You'll find a fairly detailed discussion as to why the Super 8 *didn't" make the cut (including specific comments by someone who stayed there).

For what it's worth the rate "cutoff" (in quotes since it wasn't firm) for inclusion was ~$125/night, but remember that the total tax on hotels in SF is ~15% and include that in your budget. In the off-season you can routinely get rates below this figure (including tax, sometimes even <$100/night with tax), but I think in August you should expect many of these hotels to be ~$125 (or more) before tax.

Bottom Line: Looking at the list should give you about 15-20 more hotels for you to consider. Obviously some are better than others for lots of reasons, but a quick scan of the TA rankings/reviews should help you eliminate some fairly easily (as will availability, rates, etc.).

Unless you're wanting to get out of the central downtown area (i.e. into the neighborhoods), I'd go with any of those on the list (or even those along Lombard) before I went with the Metro. Nothing particularly against the Metro, just that I don't consider it centrally located (even though it is from a strictly geographical standpoint).

That's my $.02,

hlo

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
8,967 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Choice in SF

hi: i'm not sure what type of hotel amenities you would need but you mention bargain lodging and you wish to do the touristy things like Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, etc...so location is always helpful. Check out the San Remo Hotel very near Fisherman's Wharf and close to North Beach....The Metro on Divisadero Street is another good option just not central. Check out their websites and reviews.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Choice in SF

I would go for the Fusion off your list. Good location and reasonable tourist class accommodations.

Caernarfon, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Choice in SF

Thanks for all your replies,great help.Leaning towards the fusion at the moment. 'Huntlaw', sorry for being a complete moron but I'm new on this,what is the 'TQ' i.e. Where can i find this list of ~20 hotels you speak of,sounds ideal.thanks again!

Forestville, CA
Level Contributor
8,967 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Choice in SF

the "tq" means "Top Questions about San Francisco" and is on the right side of this forum...lots of resources.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Choice in SF

"Oops" thought someone had already mentioned the Top Questions.

I'd leave a link to the tread, but I'm on my phone and it's a pain.

And, on that note I'll point out that you need to be in the full TA website to see them. They don't appear on the app or the mobile version of the forums.

hlo

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Choice in SF

Normally, hlo, I wouldn't recommend the Metro. While it's not as centrally located as anything around Union Square, I think the immediate area would be attractive to 20-somethings and the place does get very good reviews.