We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
468 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

Scheduled to arrive at SFO on 5/28/14 (Wed) at 3:30pm, meeting my college age son who is flying in at the same time to meet me. Option one is to pick up rental car at airport. I know we will not need it for three days in San Francisco, and will incur parking fees, but we will have it when we need it to leave on Fri evening for Calistoga. My main worry is traffic from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Square on Wed. Option 2 would be to take BART on Wed and pick up our car downtown before we leave for Calistoga. My concern with this option is that if either of our planes are delayed, and we are late arriving at the BART Powell St. Station, we may feel unsafe. In addition, we will each have a suitcase and carry on to get to the hotel (I understand 4 or 5 blocks from hotel), especially if we are later than earlier. Need help with this dilemma!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,936 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

How late do you think it will be? I don't think the time of day really matters if early evening unless really late like middle of the night is an issue. I would feel safe walking those few blocks unless dead of night.

More of an issue is your luggage. If you arrive late or don't want to do BART with your luggage, just grab a taxi. Cost is still cheaper than renting car and paying for 2 days of parking near Union Square.

Edited: 12:29 am, February 04, 2014
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,689 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

Option 2 is certainly less expensive (by several hundred dollars). The walk from BART is fine, even at night. You might see some panhandlers, but just ignore them or say "Sorry, no" and you'll be fine. As far as the distance is concerned, you could always take BART to the Embarcadero Station and then get a taxi from the nearby Hyatt... probably $6 or so to your hotel.

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

I would not be worried at all about the safety of your walk up from the Powell St BART station. If you can roll your suitcase up the street, you may encounter lots of pedestrian traffic, including a few panhandlers, but just roll on by.

If you drove at that time, you probably encounter plenty of very very slow moving traffic on the elevated freeway, highway 101, as you enter SF. If it were me, I'd take BART in for sure and rent the car days later.

I've done that drive in the afternoon (not by choice, but had to pick up relatives) and you need patience aplenty.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,416 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

I'm curious why taking a cab from tne airport isn't an option?

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
468 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

Thanks for your idea. So I can take BART to Embarcardo station and get a cab for only $6 to the Chancellor Hotel? How close is the Hyatt to the BART station, and is it pretty easy to get a taxi? Also, how long do you think it would take from SFO to Embarcardo, going the BART route?

Thanks for your input.

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
468 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

I thought it might be too expensive. Any idea for two people from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Square? Will the BART be a hassle for a 49 yr old Mom and her college age son? I am looking for the easiest, yet budget minded option.

Thanks!

Edited: 12:49 am, February 04, 2014
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,936 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

Just BART it and walk. It really is safe. Your son can drag the suitcases if you have trouble. Are we talking about carryon 20in-ish suitcases?

Did you read this already?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c194984/San-Fr…

Another compromise with cost and door to door (mostly) is a shared shuttle like Lori's.

If it were me, just BART. I see people all times of the day popping up at the Powell Station with their luggage walking to their hotels.

8. Re: BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 04, 2014
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

We stay at the Chancellor several times a year and, since we live in Santa Cruz, we need to drive in, so I can tell you about the parking situation.

They use a garage on Sutter Street which is only a block and a half from the hotel. This is not a self park, but you pull up they take your car. We just tell them we are staying at the Chancellor.

We usually just park there and walk with our luggage to the hotel. Occasionally ,DH drops me and the luggage off and goes to park the car., and then reverses the procedure when we check out.

The Chancellor also offers valet parking where you can just pull up to the hotel and check in and your car will be whisked away.

We have had three "parking packages" in the past year, which means that the parking is included in the rate. Otherwise, is is around $40 including tax, with an added charge for valet parking.

In your case, I would strongly suggest either a taxi from the airport, or a shuttle, or the BART to the Embarcadero station and then a taxi to the Chancellor, and then pick up the car when you need it for your trip to Calistoga. There are several car rental agencies within walking distance of the Chancellor Hotel. The person at the tour desk there is very helpful, not only for tours, but for concierge duties, and can advise and help you to get a car without hassle.

If you should decide to take BART to the Powell Street station and walk up to the Chancellor, do not worry about safety. The sidewalk will be so crowded nobody would dare try anything. <grin>

If you do BART to the Embarcadero station it is right there at the Hyatt Regency and there is a taxi stand in front of the hotel. It should be about a half hour tip from the airport to the Embrcadero station.

Have a great trip. You will enjoy the service at the hotel. Be sure to eat breakfast in the pretty restaurant, Luques, with a good menu and wonderful service. If you buy a "Luques" card ahead of time (not when you check in) you can get a $20 credit at the restaurant for $10.

Enjoy your stay and your trip.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,805 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BART or Rental Car from SFO to Chancellor Hotel in Union Squ

I'd say BART & walk.

It's safe <insert standard keep your big city wits about you disclaimer here> and not really that far or that much of a hill. You can use Google street view to see what I mean.

If for some reason you decide you don't want to walk it, I'd go with the BART/taxi hybrid @ Embarcadero. The Hyatt is literally steps from the station exit and there is nearly always a line of cabs there. (Again street view can show it to you).

After that I'd say cab from SFO or, as a last resort, a shuttle. Shuttle come in last because it will be about twice the cost of BART and probably take (much?) longer, albeit door to door. Furthermore, for the two of you a shuttle will only be ~$15 cheaper than a cab from SFO, never signicantly quicker, and (again) probably much longer.

That's my $.02,

hlo