We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muni Day Pass - Calendar Day, or 24 hours?

Buffalo, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Muni Day Pass - Calendar Day, or 24 hours?

If I buy a 1 day Muni pass, is it good for 24 hours of use, or just one specific calendar day? I am only going to have one night in the city - starting from about noon on Sunday until noon on Monday. Not sure if the pass is even worth it, but knowing that it was good for my entire stay would make it an easier decision.

Thanks for any advice!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muni Day Pass - Calendar Day, or 24 hours?

They are based on calendar days. The Passport's are very low tech and are designed like a scratch off lottery ticket. You scratch off the month and the numbered day of the month you want it to be active.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,389 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Muni Day Pass - Calendar Day, or 24 hours?

well the pass is certainly convenient instead of having to find exact change. If you want to do the cable car ride as a round trip, then you would have had to purchase two round trip tickets on the cable car plus if you are going around the city it will be 2 bucks per ride but you can get a transfer that is good at least for 2 hours. OR just buy the Passport and it is an all you can travel until midnight as white D mentioned

So it is a quick math to figure out if you need one or not. If you are just doing one cc ride and a couple of bus rides perhaps not.

Edited: 8:36 pm, January 30, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,668 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Muni Day Pass - Calendar Day, or 24 hours?

Tough call based in your exact timing. I think it comes down to your exact plans, exactly how much time you have on your second day, and/or how much you value convenience.

If you'll ride the cable cars twice either of your days it's a no brainer in my opinion, buy one. I think the most you'll "lose" is $2. If you only ride a cable car once and nothing else? Well, you'd "lose" more, but still less than $10 (I confess I don't remember exact cable car fare & passport prices, on my phone so too much of a pain to check).

In my opinion if you'll take a cable car & one other MUNI ride, the convenience is probably worth it, you can measure your dollars "lost" in single digits and, if you ride either twice (especially a cable car, which will be more like since it's "free"), it will reduce the money you're "losing" and/or make your stay more enjoyable.

Bottom Line: We're probably talking about a cost difference of around $10 or so, how much are you planning on spending on your hotel room? On dinner? On entertainment? A Hamilton is just a drop in the bucket and likely worth it as you'll get some convenience, might take that extra ride, or get some other intangible benefit (too many of these to mention from my phone).

That's my $.02,

hlo

Buffalo, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Muni Day Pass - Calendar Day, or 24 hours?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate the input! I think once I 'map out' all of the things I want to see, it will be easier to decide if the pass is worth it. I personally love to walk, and think I will see more of the city that way, but having the convenience is probably worth the few $$.

5. Re: Muni Day Pass - Calendar Day, or 24 hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 03, 2015