We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

Sweden
Level Contributor
223 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

Dear TA-members,

Just booked a flight in June to the beauiful city of San Fransisco. We are staying 9 days (excluding arrival- and departure day).

After giving it a bit of a thought it seems a shame not to travel down to LA on the Highway 1 (and of course back up again).

So my question is to you - is it possible to get a feel of SF in only 5 days and is it possible to drive back and forth to LA in 4 days?

Best regards

Anna

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,521 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

Yes, 5 days is enough.

You could drive to Big Sur, stay overnight, then drive to Los Angeles and stay 2 nights, then back up the coast again staying in Big Sur a night, then back to San Francisco.

Ot, consider Yosemite National Park, which is only about a 4-hour drive from San Francisco.

Sweden
Level Contributor
223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

Thank you so much! :)

Sweden
Level Contributor
223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

Now you got me thinking. :) Yosemite looks nice and definitly a place worth visiting.

Maybe it´s possible to drive down somewhere around the Big Sur (spend 2 nights) and then skip LA and go to Yosemite instead for 2 nights.

Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

Some would disagree with me, but given your time frame I would opt for skipping LA on this trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

Very good advice from puter - save LA for another time (when you can tie it in with Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon etc).

Five days isn't enough to do SF - it's a wonderful city with treasures galore.

I'd do a two day trip to Yosemite - either by car or group tour - and spend the rest of your time in SF. And even then you won't want to leave. You need at least two days / one night in Yosemite to make it worthwhile.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

I'd say plan for at least 3 to 5 full days in San Francisco. There are many who like San Francisco and would stay longer like emeffjay above. You can certainly find things to do for longer periods, but for a flavor, 3 to 5 works OK, IMO.

If you want to see LA and do the coastal drive still, I'd personally fly into one city and out of the other if possible (maybe not possible if you've already booked). It saves you spending time on a return driving trip that you could use for something else.

Yosemite would be a nice trip (reserve a place to stay early). You could possibly also take an overnight (or two night) trip to Monterey, visit Big Sur and get an idea of highway 1 down there without going all the way through to the southern California side which wouldn't take so much time out of your schedule.

I suppose it depends how busy you want to be on your vacation. It's good to allow enough time to visit some combination of what you'd like without being too rushed. Unfortunately you'll have to pick and choose since 9 days isn't long enough to see everything in this part of the world in any case.

Sweden
Level Contributor
223 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

Thank you for your input. :) I really appriciate it.

Still pondering on what to do. But I do think it will be to rushed to see everything I want given the time frame. But I´m sure I´ll be hooked on California and I that I will come back. Right now the main purpuse of this crazy trip is to tie the knot. ;)

But I will most definitely do a trip to the Big Sur.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

You can always drive one way between LA and SF on the beautiful highway 1 coastal route, which really needs at least one and better 2-3 overnight stops, but then drive back to SF on Interstate 5, which is a dull boring route but can be done in 6-7 hours. Or fly back home from LA, etc.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,521 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

If you're not really interested in Los Angeles, your trip could be something like this:

5 days San Francisco, 2 nights in Yosemite National Park, 2 nights in either Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove, return to San Francisco to fly home.

On the day between your 2 nights in Monterey, drive down the Big Sur coast, at least as far as Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, and back.

10. Re: Is 5 days enough to get the feel of SF?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:38 pm, March 29, 2014
Edited: 9:38 pm, March 29, 2014